Help me decide. Fender Champion Vs Fender Mustang

Funkwave

• Members

I am looking for an all around amp in the $300.00 range for my project studio that I can mic up and get some quality tone.

I basically narrowed it down between the Champion and the Mustang. They both retail for $329.00 which is a steal.

Any suggestions? Perhaps a different amp in the same price range?

Thanks,

Danny

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I tried out a Mustang III at GC and was not impressed at all. It just sounded OK but the construction of the amp was very flimsy. The knobs and pots felt cheap and overall the feel just put me off. I plugged into a Champion 100 right after the Mustang and thought it was a better sounding amp. Nice Fender cleans and the effects and models were pretty usable. I liked the simplicity and classic, solid Fender construction with the front mounted panel and knobs/pots that felt very smooth and precise. I just got that traditional Fender vibe from it.

A buddy of mine is just getting back into playing and with a limited budget and I found a mint Champion 100 with GC extended warranty for cheap for him. I am picking up the amp tomorrow for him while he is out of town. I'll play it a bit when I get it home tomorrow and let you how it sounds in comparison to the Deluxe VM I just picked up for myself last weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Nope they are 12's. I just picked up a mint, used Champion 100 of CL for one of my buddies who wants to start playing again. He was out of town and didn't want to miss the deal. I played it back to back with my Deluxe Reverb VM and it holds it's own. Both nice amps.

• Moderators

Have you looked at the Super Champ X2? Tube powered, two channel, 15W, 1x10...in roughly the same price range....16 voices, efx, etc. two button footswitch [extra :mad:]

I tried the Mustangs, and decided they were toys...not giggable in any way.

• Members

Think you made a better choice with the champ. From what I've read the Mustang is a good practice/bedroom amp but the construction is lacking allot.

Champs were always small practice amps in the past. I'm surprised they've come out with a 100W 2X12 Twin type version. Guess they needed something in that range to push back against the competition and the $300 range.

Archived