Speaker clearance too small?

itspat7285

• Members

Got a Gibson scout ga17 amp. Originally has one 10 inch 8 ohm speaker. I want to get two weber 10f150's and cram it in there. Width across the baffle board is roughly 20 1/2 inches. I took it to my amp tech but he didn't seem interested in it and told me to add an extension jack and build a separate cab. Said the speakers should have one or two inches minimal between them. What are the drawbacks of not having adequate speaker spacing? I like the reverb effect from two speakers. Also, I want to add loudness and fullness to the amp. Would I be better off getting two 8 inch speakers? Part of the reason I'm changing the speakers is cause there's not enough low end, will 8 inch speakers make it worse? Responses and opinions appreciated, thank you.

• Members

20.5" isn't going to be wide enough to mount two 10" speakers side by side but it may be enough if you catty corner them, one lower then the other. How tall is the baffle? Also be sure to buy two 16 ohm and wire them in parallel - or two 4 ohm speakers wired in series to get 8 ohms.

You may also want to consider two 8's or a single 12". I'd try and get a high SPL speaker rated in the high 90's or even 100+ if you want that amp to be loud. Webber's are allot like Jensen's. They have vintage tone but their SPL db level is lower then most modern speakers. You can get allot more volume with a higher spl level if you're planning on using it live. More speakers alone doesn't make the amp louder, the wattage is just split between the two and each produce half the wattage. One high spl 12 inch speaker, no more then twice the amps wattage should give you the best volume and cranked tone.

• Members

Just picked up a vintage Jensen c12q. This thing is mint! Gonna cut the baffle and try it out. Two tens catty cornered sounds interesting. I'm gonna see if there's room to do that while I got the baffle out, if not I'm thinking one 10' and one 8' or two 8's definitely want to play around with the sound of this amp as I plan on recording an album with it within the next couple years.

Archived