A plea....

Spärk

• Members
Bah, the old site was fun. This is like a super ultra watered down The Gear Page.

Lame.

BRING IT BACK!

​The forum IS back. But "da crew" is long gone. Lamenting about it is like whining about missing all your high school friends after you've graduated. People have moved on, deal with it.

I never was part of the amp forum clique, but it sure made for entertaining reading, there were some great threads and debates about guns and pit bulls. Maybe you can help bring the forum back by starting a thread with one of these HOT BUTTON TOPICS:

1) Marshall amps suck!

2) Guns are fun!

3) Guns kill people and are terrible!

4) Pit bulls kill people and are terrible!

5) Pit bulls frighten people and are awesome!

6) [random custom amp builder] is a douche bag/ripoff artist/con man, ect....

7) Attack! Attack! WTF?

• Members

The new site performs much better then the old. Towards the end, the forum was shut down for maintenance all the time. I think I've seen that once and even then it was in the middle of the night and the spam level is much lower now.

What drove allot of people away was a combination of many factors. Failed changeover attempts and a poor rollout on this new forum. I think allot of people failed to upgrade their old passwords and just didn't bother coming back. I do see allot of long term posters poling in on a regular basis.

I do think the economy is the biggest factor of all though. If you have no job, you have no money to spend on gear. The number of rookies that come around is very low now. Maybe there will be a bump with the holiday gift season, but I don't see musicians rolling back to forums like this. It took 6 years to die down to this level, I'd say after next election cycle as business start hiring again, the economy may pick up and see more people buying luxury items again. Till then your hard core musicians will still be around.

• Members

I hope the forum recovers, but I'd prefer if all the fuzzbox-into-5150 metalcore teenagers in the "mapz" forum stayed gone. The electric forum had become the de facto amps forum for anyone who didn't use fuzzbox-into-5150.

• Members

I remember , back in 2003, Donald Rumsfeld wanted to shut down specific web sites ( he mentioned Harmony Central by name too) and many anti G.W. Bush folks couldn't log on ( my self included), for a couple of years.

As posted earlier, when the economy tanked, some of the old forumites probably could afford the time or the money to get a computer or afford the time to be here. Remember, in many places in America, it's a hand to mouth existence

• Members
I remember , back in 2003, Donald Rumsfeld wanted to shut down specific web sites ( he mentioned Harmony Central by name too) and many anti G.W. Bush folks couldn't log on ( my self included), for a couple of years.

LMAO. Are you by any chance "self-medicated"?

• Members
I dont buy that the 2008 is the only reason this site has went dark. If you go to the Amp page on The Gear Page every post on the front page is new as of today.

I post 10x as much at the gearpage as I do here. Not because of the forum software or economy but because the people are less... Well, read AJ6's post for a great example. Being lenient in the past turned this into a quarantine for weirdos and off-topic trolls while recording musicians migrated elsewhere.

• Members
I dont buy that the 2008 is the only reason this site has went dark. If you go to the Amp page on The Gear Page every post on the front page is new as of today.

Net tech, social media, a box of Cocoa Puffs ... musicians are so outta style they've seen - themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

Considering it was still owned by Scott (the founder) in 2003 and has been under different ownership since 2005, your theory (which I've never heard before - at all) is pretty irrelevant. :)

If you have anything that shows that Rumsfield mentioned HC by name, I'd LOVE to hear it! :lol:

As posted earlier, when the economy tanked, some of the old forumites probably could afford the time or the money to get a computer or afford the time to be here. Remember, in many places in America, it's a hand to mouth existence

Now that I can believe - I do feel the recession had an effect on how "into" gear people could afford to be, and unfortunately many people wound up having to worry more about making a living and where their next house payment was coming from than what their next amp head purchase was going to be.

As far as traffic here, there was a lot of issues with the forum in the past due to bad decisions on the part of people who no longer have anything to do with the site... and we've been trying to get the infrastructure back in place and working for the better part of the last year.... returning to vB (which has posed challenges of its own), getting the user reviews restored, bringing the old smilies back, etc. There's still much to be done (last I heard they were working on the mobile interface), but that's been our focus - to get everything working again. Beyond that, the HC forums are largely what you folks make of them. We've got a huge database of posts spanning many years for people to read, but if you want new conversations start threads and reply to the kinds of threads you want to see more of. Tell your friends, and invite them here. Again, we can work on the backside of the forums and do all that work to get everything functioning again, but ultimately, you all are the ones who contribute the bulk of the posts... :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
The electric forum had become the de facto amps forum for anyone who didn't use fuzzbox-into-5150.

Yes, I remember those days when the Electric Guitars forum was frequented by those in real need of amp advice. They would often complain that their questions would go unanswered or they got made fun of in the Amp Forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I remember those days when the Electric Guitars forum was frequented by those in real need of amp advice. They would often complain that their questions would go unanswered or they got made fun of in the Amp Forum.

You had similar crossover on the Effects forum too - lots of people have discussed amp-related topics over there too. At the height of this forum's popularity, many considered it the home of teh brootalz :rawk: and non-brootalz players tended to congregate in some of the other forums...

Archived