Need a suggestion on a tube/solid state amp for under $300 used

mkorshikov

• Members

Greetings everyone,

I'm selling my Fender Red Knob Princeton Chorus tomorrow. This has been my favorite solid state amp for years. I really love the way it sounds and the reverb is such a pure beauty. But, unfortunately, I cannot play it anymore as I currently live in a small apt and this amp is too loud for that.

I'm looking for a true analog amp that is not too loud, but good enough for home/rehearsal room practice (I guess 5W tube amp or 15-20W solid state amp should be a perfect solution). It could either be a vintage or modern amp, although I really dig the sound of vintage Fenders. If it sounds somewhere near Bassman/Princeton, then this is definitely what I'm looking for. I play blues, jazz, psychedelic and alternative rock music, so I don't need a shredding machine with lots of high and low frequencies, but rather expressed mid and low-mid frequencies. Spring reverb would come in handy, although is not that important. I've tried a couple of Blackstars, Oranges, VOXes, but those are definitely not what I'm looking for.

Thank you guys so much. Everyone's contribution will be highly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike

• Members

Thanks for your suggestion, buddy. I'd love to. Fender Super Champ is an amazing amp, but the genuine vintage one from Rivera era costs over $500 and frankly I'm not a big fan of Fender digital/hybrid amps.

Although, yesterday I found one local guy, who makes 5w tube heads based on fender blackface or jcm800 circuits for $100-120, he claimed to use USSR vintage electronics. Sounds like a fun to me.

By the way, does anybody know how loud Peavey Classic 20 is?

• Members

Yeah, I definitely had the current version in mind. You mentioned liking the Fender sound and I figured "Why not another Fender?" No clue about the Classic 20 but I've been a fan of Peavey amps for ages. A 20 Watt tube amp ought to be more than loud enough. A guy over in Electric Guitars was talking about performing outdoors with an 18 Watt "Marshall clone" tube amp so the Peavey should be fine for practice.

• Members

Thanks for suggestions mate! I really appreciate that! I've been a Peavey fan for a long time too, especially I love their T and Nitro guitar series. And same comes for their amps. Well, I guess, as long as we live in 21 century, I'm gonna go with Super Champ x2. Seems like a fine solution to me. Thank you :)

Archived