Using external speaker cab with Oragne Tiny Terror combo

blindopher

• Members

Hi,

I would like to use my Tiny Terror combo with a different speaker cabinet. The combo has 3 speaker output jacks: 8ohm 8ohm 16ohm. The amp is now connected to the 16ohm output using the stock Celestion speaker.

I would like to disconnect the built in speaker and use my 8ohm cab instead. Do I simply unplug the existing speaker and plug into one of the 8ohm jacks with my external 8ohm cab, using a speaker cable?

thanx!

• Members

From the manual (http://www.orangeamps.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/TT15_final_01.CV01.pdf):

When using a single Orange 16 ohm speaker cabinet, . . . attach it to the 16 ohm output socket on your amplifier.

When using two Orange 16 ohm speaker cabinets attach one to each of the 8 ohm output sockets on your amplifier.

When using a single 8 ohm cabinet attach it to either one of the two 8 ohm output sockets on your amplifier.

WARNING: Never use two 8 ohm cabinets the same time.

WARNING: The Orange Tiny Terror amplifiers should not be used with 4 ohm speakers. . . .

The manual makes specific reference to the head version but the combo is the same amp. Sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck.

• Members

Running just an 8 ohm cab with the internal speaker disconnected is fine so you'll be good there as Deep End Mentions.

I did a little investigation just to check out other options since this amp does have additional jacks.

Looking at the schematic this amp does have an actual dual impedance tap of 16 and 8 ohms.

http://elektrotanya.com/PREVIEWS/63463243/23432455/oldies/egyeb/orange_tiny_terror.pdf_1.png

In most amps you would only use one tap or the other "and" make sure your total load matches that tap. This means you'd use an speaker impedance calculation to figure out your total load before connecting the speakers.

If for example you had a 16 ohm cab, you'd connect the internal 16 ohm speaker "and" the external 16 speaker to the two 8 ohm jacks.

16+16 in parallel = 8 ohms which is safe for that 8 ohm transformer tap. (maybe they should have marked those two jacks "8 ohms or 16+16"

The manual also states WARNING: The Orange Tiny Terror amplifiers should not be used with 4 ohm speakers. Well, you could run two 4 ohms in series 4+4 in series within the cab which = 8 ohms so that statement is incomplete. They just don't want you connecting two 8 ohm cabs in parallel which = 4 ohms.

You could connect two 8 ohm cabs in series for a total of 16 ohms, then run one connector to the 16 ohm jack on the head.

The manual doesn't specifically state whether you can run one 16 ohms internal speaker on the 16 ohm tap "and" one 8 ohm on the 8 ohm tap at the same time. Having them on separate taps at the same time may not damage the transformer but I'd contact the Manufacturer to be sure. Since the manual doesn't specifically state "Not" to do this I suspect this head gets abused like that all the time by users who don't understand the differences.

Most amps with dual transformer taps only use one tap or another at one time. Never both at the same time so I wouldn't try it.

Even if both speakers were connected to the 16 ohm or 8 ohm tap, 8+16 in parallel = 5.33 ohms which is too close for comfort to 4 ohms.

• Members

thanx y'all again for your generous insights - the TT is only passing by, but before I (hopefully) sell it, i'm just dying to try it with my home made open back cab loaded with a Weber Alnico Blue Dog. It's not often that I get to A/B stuff, and one does enjoy a good A/B session doesn't one? Yes precious, one does.

Archived