Thoughts on the Egnater Vengeance? I came across a deal that I can't pass up...

Ambugaton

• Members

I did a web search for "Egnater Vengeance problems" like you probably did and couldn't find anything. Some early Tourmasters had faulty transformers but that's about it. Beyond that, they seem to have a loyal following. With luck, someone who has actual hands-on experience will reply.

• Members

My buddy has a Egnater combo that sounded good to me when he performs. He pairs it up with a Bugera which is the better sounding of the two.

That Vengeance is a monster at 120w and even at half power it will likely be too much for any place a musician would normally play. If you need a monster amp, go for it. If you play in some super loud metal band you'll have no problem being the loudest guy in the room. If you aren't playing out and just use it for practice, then its unlikely you'd be able to open the thing up and actually use it without drawing the cops to your doorstep.

• Members
. . . That Vengeance is a monster at 120w and even at half power it will likely be too much for any place a musician would normally play. . . .

Well, yeah, there is that. I assumed the OP knew what he was getting into and just wanted comments on the amp. Lord only knows few musicians actually need a 120 Watt amp, let alone one that typically sells for around $1200. A "steal" is still going to be a lot of dough unless the word "steal" is literal.

• Members

I understand that 120w is wayyyyy more than I would ever need. I play on a 40w for live shows now and even that gets louder than I need. I figured the 60w cut would be low enough for me to use it in the same application as my current amp. The deal was $1100 for the Egnater Head and a Blackstar Series One 412 (Class A with 4 V30's). The cabinet itself goes for 1100 with the head selling for anywhere between $1100 - $1200. Both items are nearly brand new with very little use. He estimates about 10 hours of playing on them.

• Members

I have a 65W Sound City (Hiwatt) head that's too loud for gigging. Its got a switch that drops the wattage to around 45W but its still pretty darn loud for most situations.

I have a Music Man 65w too but its got a Master Volume so I can run that at 50% and still get a good sound. My old Blackface Bassman 50w its always been a loud head for gigging. I used to run it with a 4X12 cab and even on 4 it blows chunks. I used to love my V2 head for gigs. It was a 50W head that was pretty ideal for loud rock stuff. The 50W Plexi I used to have was one of my favorites for gigging too. You could crank it to get those 100W Plexi tones at half the wattage. My buddy put a master volume in his and supped up the front end to get a driven tube sound. He could turn it down to match smaller amps. The 100W and 200W Solid state amps I have, you can cut in half for loudness compared to tube amps.

So long as you have a master volume you can at least turn the power amp down. You wont get any output transformer saturation running it that way, but you should still be able to get some decent drive tones using stomp boxes and any preamp drive the head produces. You could get a power soak for the thing and crank it up but that is another piece of gear you have to haul around gigging.

The price is good enough even in this weak economy. You can probably get your money back if it fails to meet your needs. I'd just carry ear plugs for the gigs you can open it up.

• Members
I understand that 120w is wayyyyy more than I would ever need. I play on a 40w for live shows now and even that gets louder than I need. I figured the 60w cut would be low enough for me to use it in the same application as my current amp. . . .

All else being equal--which it isn't, of course--you'll get a bit less than 2dB more peak volume out of the Egnater in 60 Watt mode with the same cab. That said, it is a killer deal. Good luck.

• 6 years later...