clean amp for gigging?

DangerKartProductions

• Members

I have a 5150II and it is CRANKED to the gills so as a result: I have no clean channel. I am currently using a solid state Crate p.o.s. for my clean channel.

I use a Marshall 4x12 and have the two amps mic'ed in stereo (A/B switch).

I am looking for something in the 10-30 Watt range that is entirely tube powered. I don't want to spend much more than $200.

I need an amp with EL34 or EL84s, I think the 84s will sound nicer but I worry about muddiness with the Marshall cab.

I have been eyeing the Jet City 20h and/or trying to snag a blue voodoo if possible, any thoughts?

The band I am in will start gigging in a little over a month and I need to complete my live rig.

Let me know!

Matt

• Members

If you really want clean, why wouldn't you be looking at 6L6's or 6V6's? I mean, Fender is the king of clean. Brand new Fender Super-Champ X2 head 15W with 6V6's is $299; you can find one cheaper on eBay (see link below). I guess my first reaction when I hear "clean" is Fender.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Super-Champ-X2-15W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-Foot-Switch-/261661426070?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cec3c8196

• Members

Hey Matt. Are you using both of the channels set to high gain/overdrive/distortion? Could you use the rhythm channel for cleans and use an overdive pedal for when you need drive (or a distortion pedal if you just always need tons of RAWK at your finger tips...)

With 120 watts, you should have no trouble getting nice loud cleans from that amp. But if it's a matter of bringing two amps just to get a clean option, I think you could just as easily (and more cheaply) find a good dirt pedal and use the clean in the amp you already have...

Just my two cents. I've used the 5150II at reheaersal rooms and was always able to get a nice loud clean sound and use my pedals for drive - and the second channel on the amp for really great distortion

• Members

No, the 'clean' channel breaks up really fast, and I refuse to use any sort of pedal for distortion. I utilize all three channels as it is, I just need to get something clean and silky that is tube powered and relatively inexpensive. I need to get tones that are useful for playing some queen tunes and some pink floyd, the 5150 is just too much of a beast for any subtle usage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Queen and Floyrd stuff eh? And you wanna keep running the 4x12 to get dirt and cleans. With 10-30 watts you want have much headroom even with a dedicated clean channel, but if you really are miced all the time I guess that's not an issue. I've owned that JetCity before and it couldn't stay completely clean and still get over the drums unmiced for example. But it did sound pretty good for the money. So that is an option.

With that budget there's not much else you can find new in the tube amp department that isn't super basic. Even if you go used it'll be hard to get under $300.

You could look out for things like the Egnater Tweaker 40, Peavey Valveking II Micro, and Blackstar HT Studio 20H on craigslist, ebay, reverb.com, and the forum here though: They're all lower wattage very versatile amps. Best best might be the blackstar I'd say considering it's EL34 based like you want and has a lot of tonal options.

• Members

I'd say look for something used. If you can grab something like a Marshall Valvestate 100 cheap they do have a tube preamp. The Power amp however is SS but it does use Mosfets which give very tube like tone and might be a good match for that 5150. You're going to need more wattage running clean with tubes then driven to match DB levels. Clean does have much larger transient spikes, but the notes sustains need allot more beef to compete with driven tones. I'm not sure a 15~30 W tube head would do the job competing with a 5150 cranked. Yopu may be pushing it and having it break up so you may be in the same situation running a channel clean.

I can see the Crate being a poor match with your current setup. I've used many of their SS heads and they are pretty poor. You shouldn't judge all SS gear by that however. I'm an old Tube repair tech myself and some SS stuff can be quite excellent. You just have to double the wattages over a tube head to get enough headroom and have a realistic match between the two. Touch sensitivity is the other biggie. The feel of the pick when playing through SS gear often lacks the same kind of compressive attack tube stuff has. You could use some compression but that often adds unneeded flab. An amp with a preamp tube can often give you that tube like feel, and since its being run clean you aren't worried about the drive.

I'd take a guitar down to the music store and test some amps out and narrow down your possibilities. Hauling two heads is a bitch too, so something lightweight may be highly beneficial.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I got the Egnater Rebel 30 combo. It is awesome amp. ~~Rebel-30 Features and Information

•30-Watt All-Tube Head

•Premium Tubes:

◦2 x 6V6

◦2 x EL84

◦5 x 12AX7

•Clean Channel:

◦ Volume, Bass, Treble

◦ Variable Wattage

◦ Control from 1w to 30w

◦ Tight and Bright

◦ Voicing Switches

•Overdrive Channel:

◦ Volume, Gain, 3-Band EQ

◦ Variable Wattage

◦ Control from 1w to 30w

◦ Tight and Bright

◦ Voicing Switches

•Tube Mix Blends 6V6 and EL84 Power Tubes

•Individual Reverb on Each Channel with “Spillover”

•XLR Direct Record Output with Play and Silent Recording Mode

•Buffered Effects Loop

• Footswitch for Channel Select and Reverb On/Off

•Birch Plywood Construction

•Heavy Duty Casters and Side Handles (Rebel-30 2x12”)

•100V/115V/230V Voltage Selector

•Rugged Cover/Carry Bag Included

•Dimensions: 17" (L) x 10.75" (W) x 17.25" (H)

•Weight: 30lbs

Rebel30.jpg

The Cleans on this amp are very nice. It takes pedals very well too. I have a Mesa Boogie Road King II which is a beast of an amp. I use the Egnater for church as I don't need such a big amp. Give it a try. I think it will be just what you are looking for.

• Members
If you really want clean, why wouldn't you be looking at 6L6's or 6V6's? I mean, Fender is the king of clean. Brand new Fender Super-Champ X2 head 15W with 6V6's is $299; you can find one cheaper on eBay (see link below). I guess my first reaction when I hear "clean" is Fender.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Super-Champ-X2-15W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-Foot-Switch-/261661426070?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cec3c8196

True dat!

Get the highest wattage 6L6 amp you can find, set it to the clean channel, and make sure not to drive the inputs too hard. Putting and EQ or some other pedal with volume control on it, last in your signal chain, just before the input, then turn adjust the volume down until it's crystal clear.

Archived