The sound of my amp became more trebly after I used multi effects with it. can someone tell what happened to my amp and what should be done to fix it?

mbengs1

• Members

There's a couple of possibilities. Since tubes can take saturation without being damaged, My gut reaction is there's nothing wrong with your amp and its your ears that have changed. Ear sensitivity can change drastically on a daily basis and what you may have as a memory, before and after may not be as accurate as you think.

I have this happen to me every time I crank up my studio. I can open a mix I had completed several days before, with all the exact settings, and it may sound better or worse then I "Thought" I had saved it. I'm not talking about small amounts either, sometimes it can be drastic. Its all in how much time I spent on that mix getting it to sound good. If I spent allot of time chances are my head was into making tweaks and my ears were fatigued and much less sensitive to the treble responses. When I come back with rested ears the high end can be too much and I have to dial it back for fresh ears.

This is one reason why studios mix at very low music levels. When Studios like Motown mixed it was with very loud monitors and they limited engineers from being in the room for more then 3 hours a day because they couldn't mix properly beyond that point.

If there is something actually wrong with your amp, it would most likely be with the loss of bass, not with the increase of treble. You can swap your preamp tubes around and see what happened. Don't try that with your power tubes because they are biased for the sockets they fit in.

Other then that, you'd need a trained tech to pump a signal tracer through the amp and see look for frequency losses. In very rare cases you may have a cracked solder joint or bad cap that can screw up your tone stack.

Or you could compare it to another in a music store in an A/B comparison. Set both up with the same settings and just plug your guitar into one and then the other and see how much different they sound.

• Members

What multi fx are you using? Because I can tell you that most multi fx WILL change the sound. Where as units like the 1101 will not change the sound. Even though it's not true bypass. You can go on youtube and get the technical reasons to why this is. It squash's the signal a bit.

But, if you go into your settings on the multi effects make sure it's set up to be used as a multi effects. It has different settings. For example, you may have it on the setting that goes straight to the board, or recording mixer and you need to put it on the amp setting.

• Members

What multi fx are you using? Because I can tell you that most multi fx WILL change the sound. Where as units like the 1101 will not change the sound. Even though it's not true bypass. You can go on youtube and get the technical reasons to why this is. It squash's the signal a bit.

But, if you go into your settings on the multi effects make sure it's set up to be used as a multi effects. It has different settings. For example, you may have it on the setting that goes straight to the board, or recording mixer and you need to put it on the amp setting.

the multi fx I use is a digitech rp100. I will surely have the amp fixed but will it be an easy repair or a costly one?

• Members

I can't really see how a multifx would permanently alter or damage an amp in any way.

What I would wander about is how the multifx changed the amp when you did use it - in your case is it possible the multifx sucked away a lot of the treble frequencies (either naturally or via your settings on it), you got used to the altered sound and now when you have taken it out again your ears are expecting less treble than your amp put out before?

• Members

Well, at around the fourth time I used the multi fx with it, the sound did change from the first time I tried it. the first time I hooked up the amp with multi fx it sounded pretty good. it sounded quite authentic actually. then after using it a couple more times the sound changed. it started to sound like how it normally does through my solid state amp.

• Members

Nothing to post at so here goes.

Like WRGKMC said could be a short in the tone stack. This can cuase among other things, increase in clarity. lol. My Boogie allows removing the tone stack entirely for a quasi treble boost.

Dumb checklist stuff:

Very generally, other possibilities are the FX loop is still functioning and altering the preamp gain. The footswitch logic might be faulty, the relay at the preamp stays on for example. This can be due to a faulty cable or premature disconnect.

Are there bright switches or push pull pots you might have inadvertently switched? Is the presence where it should be? Is the impedance set correctly?

Um, is it even on the right channel? etc. etc. etc...

Archived