15W Tube Throwdown - AC15 vs Tiny Terror vs Egnater Tweaker

PigBenis

• Members

Looking for recommendations on an amp...I'm considering these three but can only afford one. Seems the consensus across the web is that the Vox has the best cleans, the TT has the best OD, and the Tweaker does a good job covering the Fender, Marshall, Vox tones but isn't really the "best" at any of them. The Tweaker appears to be the most versatile, but for me I'm not sure how much mojo is there...I've always liked Vox and Orange amps, even though I think they're probably good at what they do but not much more.

This would be used for the living room, garage practice, and maybe light gigging. Styles range from The Yardbirds to Alice in Chains, so therein lies the dilemma of finding an amp to competently cover them all. Has anyone played all three of these and can provide some input on their experiences with them?

BTW, the two guits I'm using right now are an LP standard and PRS SE semi-hollow...thx for any input. :thu:

• Members

Bear in mind that I don't own any of those amps but it seems kinda apples vs. oranges. The AC15 is a combo, right, whereas the Tiny Terror and Tweaker are both heads? Unless you're talking about the Heritage anniversary model from about 6 or 7 years ago? A whole lot is going to hang on the cab you use with the Tiny Terror or Tweaker and whether you stick with the stock speaker in the AC15. I agree that the Tweaker seems more versatile and it would probably be my choice for a variety of styles. Do you have a way to actually play through any of these amps? If so, let your ears be your guide.

• Members
Its still being sold as a silverface reissue head. http://www.amazon.com/Ampeg-Series-GVT15-112-15-Watt-Amplifier/dp/B0054JGI0I

That link is to the 1X12 combo, which is fine except we still haven't heard from the OP whether he wants a head or a combo. His initial post compared two heads and a combo so I for one am a bit at a loss since, as I said originally, the cab used with a given head or the speaker in a given combo will make a difference.

• Members

The thing about the Egnater Tweaker is that it's so versatile. Not just because it has a lot of tone shaping features. It can take ANY octal based tube.

6V6, 6L6GC, 6L6GB, EL34.

Combine that with the fact that it can used with 4,8, or 16 ohm impedance so any cab or speaker combination is possible. It also has an effects loop and a very transparent master volume. It also has an effects loop.All in a very inexpensive package.

I love mine. I use it with jensen C12N, P12N and occasionally a Marshall 4x10. It sounds great with everything.

• Members

While I would never call a GC a good place to really run through an amp, I was all set to get a Tweaker until I ran it side by side with a lot of other things - including an Egnater Rebel 30. Which I bought, and love.

I will also say that the Egnater amps are very nice, the company is very nice if you have an issue, and I am still finding little "oh.... gee, I'm glad they did that" things out about the amp. Just a wonderful little head.

Other heads tried that did not measure up as well:

* Tiny Terror

* Vox Nightrain

* Tweaker

The only other one that I liked as much (well, much more) was a Mesa Trans Atlantic, and when it came to buy, I couldn't find one.

Am a very, very, very happy Rebel owner.

• Members

Yes but this thread is about 15 watt amps...not 30.

Given that I'd still take a Tweaker over a Vox AC15 or Tiny Terror.

I was also never a big fan of that whole power tube switching business with the Rebel 20 or Rebel 30. It seemed like a huge waste of electricity and power tube expense for a feature that really didn't do much.

I should admit that I uses 6L6GB tubes with my Tweaker. You can use any octal power tube set with this amp.

Lots of tone shaping versatility besides being able to use different power tubes with it.

• Members

Actually, considering this thread was started over a week ago and the OP hasn't been back and you still don't know whether he wants a head or a combo, it's cool to discus different amps but unless someone else reading this thread is in the market for a 15 Watt tube amp, I doubt it's really doing any practical good.

• Members

The idea that 15 watts vs. 30 is significant is one I would debate. I can do 'quiet' (the famous "bedroom level") with the Rebel 30, or I can do "god damned loud." I am very glad I can do both. The Rebel also has a power soak, so you can twiddle with the efficiency.

As for not liking the tube blend .... seriously? Can I share that as a customer who thought it perhaps ultra-gimmicky when I bought the amp (for it's nice mid-60 Fenderish clean that I can get) I have come to absolutely LOVE that feature. The caveat is that, like all tube amps, to start really getting into the interesting sounds (harmonics / overtones) you need to do it at volume.

In any event, that Rebel 30 can probably be had for <$500 these days as a head, and short of filling a 800-1,000 cap club I can't think of something it can't do -- it even has a direct-out for recording.

Archived