6v6 or similar low watt tube head or 112 combo......need ideas!

c_corie

• Members

I have my Vox AC4TVH and matching cab put nos tubes in it- actually like a 12AV7 for preamp. Anyway- my 64 6G6B Bassman is too loud and bright- so is my Mesa Trem O Verb half stack. I've sold off many other amps. If I could afford/find an original evil robot or an actual Magnatone I'd go for that. I want something dark- and gritty sounding. The Vox gets close but it's too "nice" sounding and the gain it has gets too fuzzy. I'm open to any cheap "sleeper" vintage Mps or any modern ones I may be missing. After watching many Phil X videos with the original tonemaster or the evil robot ones (not as cool) I want something that has that almost tweed/fender tone but more....thick and with less high frequencies.

• Members

Just how low watt are you needing? Something like the Epiphone JR is a great little head for getting lower volume driven tones. http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/epiphone-amp-series-valve-junior-head-67017.jpg You can mod them up too.

A super champ head is about 15w and may do the trick. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SupChampX2HD?adpos=1o3&creative=55281333121&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CJHY15rzv8ACFSgV7AodOBIAxQ

This orange only has a single preamp tube but many like them.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ORAMT20

There are a few others but most of your good low watt tube heads are in combos. You may want to go that route instead of just trying to find a head.

• Members

maybe a champ, 57'one or a reissue, or try to get a SF champ, try to find a kit and built one yourself, or a clone?

i have myself build a tweed royal from BYOC (its a switchable 5E3 deluxe,5F1 Champ, 5F2a Princeton, and 5F10 Harvard amp)

it makes a hell of difference which speaker you put in, i put a jenson P12R (i guess) in to be somehow on the all original thingy, but turning the amp up with this speaker made it sound really farty and distorting not really nice.

i put a celestion vintage 30 in it, which is much more efficient and has a much bigger wattage rating. now this thing is even at 6w loud as hell, but it sings nicely...

a champ with the right 1x12 speaker could sound really great

• Members

Seriously get an Egnater Tweaker head. Uses 6V6 or any octal power tube. About 15 watts with a VERY transparent master volume. Lots of tonal variety. Effects loop as well. Personally I like 6L6GB in mine. You can swap out the preamp tubes for lower gain ones if you like. Very inexpensive and you get a lot of amp for the money. I use a single Jensen C12N or P12N speaker with it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
a champ with the right 1x12 speaker could sound really great

A friend of mine asked me to play guitar on a recording he was doing. I brought a strat, cry baby and a Silverface Champ.

There was an Ampeg SVT in the studio so I played in the control room with the amp and we ran a speaker wire to the SVT 8x10 cabinet.

I cranked that little Champ and it sounded incredible through the big cabinet. It was not very loud, there was no speaker distortion and the harmonics generated by the single ended 6V6 output stage gave me one of the most satisfying recorded guitar sounds ever.

I read somewhere that Keith Richards said small amps sound the best when they "feel" like they are just about to blow up.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived