Smaller amps with send and return?

BowerR65

• Members

With all the pods and amp modeling pedals why dont more amps have effects loops for running pedals and modelers like floor pods and such threw them?

I dont know alot about all the cheaper practice amps available now but what are the popular practice amps with the effects loop?

• Members

Because modelers usually color the amp and vice versa. More run modelers direct to PA or use some type of PA type amplification.

There are others like Matrix Amplification.

For modelers Tech 21 has the Power Engines. Other cheaper amps like Peavey Bandits have loops, but you need to kill the cab modeling on your amp modeler or it will sound like a mix of amp and modeler with digital cab = not so good.

• Members

The smallest amp I have that I can loop an effects pedal in is my 15W Marshal Valvestate. Its got a line out and a CD input where I can put a pedal there but its not a true series effects loop. I can use it to place an echo pedal and get the preamp saturation to drive the pedal but its a parallel config.

I think the reason why you don't find many is because of cost. Driving the signal at instrument level requires additional circuitry to get the gain staging right. You can add an effects loop to nearly any amp but its really a matter of impedance. Small amps are simple and the power amp is likely driven by a fairly strong signal from the preamp. You can buy pre made kits that can be installed to fix this but the total cost of it including the installation is rarely worth it.

If you are using something like a pod, you're likely going to dial the amp up for clean tones and stick them in front of a small amp and use the amp as a clean sound source with possibly a little preamp saturation. Having it in a loop will probably not result in very much improvement like it does in front of a larger amp that has a higher fidelity power amp. It will allow you to have the preamp saturation feed the unit and it is the best place to put time based effects, but small amps don't usually have the greatest power amp tone to begin with so I'm not sure its really worthwhile.

Maybe a smaller tube amp would be worth while, but I just don't see it being worthwhile with SS amps 15W and under unless its a special design for recording and such where you'd want tube preamplification for the instrument and get all your saturation after that stage.

Archived