What's a good practice amp?

Templeton

• Members

Hi, I'm returning to electric after playing acoustic for a while and I'm looking for an amp for practicing at home with.I only live in a flat and won't be gigging any time soon, is there any I should be looking out for? My budget is around the £100 mark

Cheers

• Members

I'd just look around for a small, used Peavey. They're decent amps and they generally go cheap used. At least that's the case in the US. £100 is US$167.25, which will get you a fairly nice amp. Bear in mind though with a Peavey you're probably going to be looking at a solid state amp. I'm assuming you're in the UK so I don't know for sure what's available to you beyond Marshall and Vox.

• Members

Roland makes some nice low wattage amps. I've got a Roland Cube 15 with a really nice clean tone, 3 different stages of distortion built in and a built in power soak to get max gain at low volumes. Also has a recording compensated out if you want to do some recording with it. It's a really light amp and louder than you would think 15 watts would be. I paid $70.00 US for it brand new in the box.

• Members

Those little cubes are good sounding amps, i like the ones with the modeling and FX its just the right amount of everything to keep you from getting bored. Ide recomend one of those for anyone, even new guitar players. Basic amps get stale quick but with some fun sounds to mess around with you tend to play around with it longer. They only have the usable effects also

• Members

Not sure if you have pawn shops around where you live but that's where you may want to start. EBay is another good option. I rarely buy new myself. You can get much better bang for the buck buying used. I picked up a 65W Peavey Studio for $20 about 6 months ago. The combo needed a speaker so I picked up a Jenson Mod 70w speaker for $39 on sale. This gave me a small 65W combo for $60. The amp is good for practice or will easily keep up with a drummer for small rehearsals.

Archived