Can I paint tolex?

unclejessesmullet

• Members

I intend to buy a Hot Rod Deluxe soon and I'd like to paint it a new color. Will this change the sound of the amp at all? Seems like a stupid question but you never know. Is there a specific type of paint I should use? Should I avoid it altogether? Is there some place that does this sort of thing professionally? Thanks in advance!

• Members

Well, I know that when I stencil a band's name onto Tolex-covered speaker cabinets, using white Krylon spray paint, it's quite hard to remove that paint later.

Maybe that's a clue. And, by the way, painting an amp ain't gonna change its tone. Just make sure you remove the amp chassis and speaker first, or you will find that painting an amp ~will~ change its tone. smiley-surprised

• Members

It will look like hell in no time at all, but yes you can paint it. Paint is going to make it look dull and the problem is once it starts to wear all the grooves remain painted and the ripples will be the original color. I've done it on a few cabs that were in really bad shape but it wound up looking worse in the long run. I have used spray on rubber which was better, but that only cones in a few colors. I've also used pickup truck bed liner for a hard coating. None of them will affect the amps tone, but its a really bad idea if you ask me.

If you're going to do a job, do it right and re-tolex the cab. Its not that hard to do but, unless its in bad shape, I say, put your efforts to work playing music and forget about the way the amp looks. Its not going to make you play batter and the audience shure isn't going to care what color your amp is, only the color of your music.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd also recommend just re-Tolexing it to change the color, but I did actually use a "vinyl dye" spray (similar to a spray paint can) to change the color on a couple of amps back in the 80s (white over the original black Tolex) and it worked surprisingly well. Sorry, I don't have the amps anymore, and I don't even know where any photos of them are.

• Members
. . . I did actually use a "vinyl dye" spray (similar to a spray paint can) to change the color on a couple of amps back in the 80s (white over the original black Tolex) and it worked surprisingly well. . . .

Used to be auto detailing shops could change the color of vinyl tops (remember those?) They probably used the same stuff. You might check with a local shop and they'll tell you where to get the stuff or give you a bid on doing it for you.

Archived