Tried an Ibanez TSA5TVR today and other ramblings.

Dingoist

• Members

The new funky one that looks like an tv from the 50s.

Loved the looks. Clean was nicely. But I brought in a Gretsch to test it out. This amp and guitar didn't like each other, brittle, shrill, no depth, just meh. Then I tried it with a strat -- much better suited. It was actually quite a good pairing.

Problem is I own both, but I'm mostly playing the Gretsch 5420t these days (it's a lot of fun).

Other thing, I found the spring reverb had a lingering shrillness, and the tube screamer circuit when engaged added a lot of background noise.

I wanted to be impressed. I wanted to walk out of the store carrying it. I really did. I like quirky things. But, alas it was not to be. Anyone try one?

Though I must admit I was spoiled, I played the Gretsch through a '68 CPR on the weekend, and it was lovely. I'm considering moving some gear to get one now.

• Members

Your experience makes sense. An Ibanez amp is probably made with the pickups in Ibanez guitars in mind. They'd likely be very different form the Filtertrons in your Gretsch. A Strat, OTOH, would have much more in common with a typical Ibanez solid body, at any rate. An Artcore hollowbody or semi-hollow, OTOH, might sound much the same as your Gretsch due to the different (from a solid body) pickups.

Archived