1965 Fender Twin head

mcmike100

• Members

Clear, in focus pictures of the front and back would help determine the value. Is the reverb connected? Is the footswitch included? Is there a matching speaker cab? Just guessing here, but somewhere between $300 to $800.

This type of amplifier - loud and clean - is out of fashion with most players. Most people that want Fender-type tones just use a low-power (40 watts or less) combo amps like a Deluxe Reverb and mic it if they need more volume for playing on stage. The only people who still buy "stack" amps are metal players, and they buy Marshalls or Mesas.

Where you are located (USA, UK, Europe, ???) and how you sell (craigslist, kijiji, eBay, ect) also affect the selling price. I would make sure the amplifier works or not before trying to sell it.

• Members

Pre cbs are getting rare. I'm guessing this is a blackface, and you did proper date it. Allot of people are back dating silver faced amps before they could have been made.

The head alone may get you $600~700 if its in good shape. What I'd do is get a Twin cab clone and load it with the head and good speakers. Then you should be able to get a couple hundred more above what it cost you to buy the cab and speakers. This is what someone buying the head would likely do any way.

• Members
Clear, in focus pictures of the front and back would help determine the value. Is the reverb connected? Is the footswitch included? Is there a matching speaker cab? Just guessing here, but somewhere between $300 to $800.

This type of amplifier - loud and clean - is out of fashion with most players. Most people that want Fender-type tones just use a low-power (40 watts or less) combo amps like a Deluxe Reverb and mic it if they need more volume for playing on stage. The only people who still buy "stack" amps are metal players, and they buy Marshalls or Mesas.

Where you are located (USA, UK, Europe, ???) and how you sell (craigslist, kijiji, eBay, ect) also affect the selling price. I would make sure the amplifier works or not before trying to sell it.

I'll try to take some pictures. There is no speaker cab or footswitch. It has a fan (with separate AC cable) installed. I'm in the US and would use Craigslist. I'm a keyboard player, not a guitarist. I do have a couple guitars, a Taylor 410 CE and a telecaster with Blues Junior amp. I've just never had a use for the twin amp head..

• Members
Pre cbs are getting rare. I'm guessing this is a blackface, and you did proper date it. Allot of people are back dating silver faced amps before they could have been made.

QUOTE]

You're correct. It's a blackface.I dated it from the serial number, but it also has "1965" stamped below the serial number. The company name is "Fender Electric Instrument Co." as opposed the later "Fender Musical Instrument Co."

• Members

Black-face twins were never made as a head, so this one's been modified. (taken out of the combo cabinet and put into another cabinet)

Twins are kinda the de-facto big Fender Clean sound, especially for country teles and steels... There's a head-mounted 1965 BF twin on Reverb.com right now for $780. There are clean BF Combo amps selling for $2K or higher... It 'might' be worth the effort to find a good twin cabinet and speakers to sell as a combo (I'm betting a BF combo w/ changed speakers could get $1500 or more). And the final issue is where you live. Those things are a huge PITA to ship, so hopefully you live close enough to a big enough market to help make the sale work...

• Members

^^^ He mentioned it was removed from the cab and put in s showman type cab. I too mentioned it might be good to restore it, but it is additional money and questionable results with resale. If I had the head I'd make my own clone and get some speakers from that period like JBL's or Altecs that could handle the power well. That would be the only amp you'd ever need for gigging.

Archived