80s Peavey cab

Elclapitan

• Members

Does anybody know what kind if speakers would be in a early 80's peavey 4x12 cab. I just picked one up for the house and was blown away by how good it sounded. I speculate that they are Sheffield's or Celestian 85's but I'm too lazy to open it up.

• Members

Depends on the type of cab you're talking about. I have an old 4X12 guitar cab I picked up in a pawn shop that loaded with the old eminence square magnet speakers. Peavey did get into their own like of speakers like the Black Widow in later years. I don't know if they used those speaker brands as stock speakers but maybe they had some special order options during those years. The speakers may have been changed out as well.

Wouldn't the best thing to do would be to find out by opening it up and taking a look?

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I think the 80's stuff was before Peavey got into making their own speakers. I'm still not sure they even do. The older stuff had eminence speakers like this with square magnets. http://www.speakerrepair.com/repairpicshtml/peavey-emin-back.jpg with nothing but serial numbers. Later they started using branded speakers sticking their own labels on them but I believe they were still eminence. After that they started coming out with unique speakers that they contracted with major manufacturers to have built for them. They used JBL, Bowers and Wilkins, Sheffield to manufacturer their own designs.

Today Peavey Electronics also owns eight major electronics brands, namely MediaMatrix, Architectural Acoustics, PVDJ, Crest Audio, Composite Acoustic, Sanctuary Series, Budda Amplification, and Trace Elliot. Trace Elliot uses Branded Celestion speakers in many of their amps so its really hard to say who is actually making the speakers. If the company is big enough and the company is willing to pay to have the assembly line retooled to make their own brand of speakers its cheaper for someone like Peavey to make a deal and just have them manufactured by someone who knows how to build speakers well.

I noticed this in much of their gear. I've owned allot of their budget stuff. Their Blackface designs are bottom of the barrel for component and construction quality. They are very cheaply made. I also own one of their 500W Power heads and when you open it up its obvious Crest had influenced the design. The build is rock solid and you wouldn't think it to be a peavey head other then the name on the front. You can tell there were decades of design quality there in that build.

That's how companies get ahead. They come up with a popular seller on their own, expand the line, then when they want to expand, they have two options. They hire great engineers to design something new and go through all that expensive R&D testing it and selling their way up or they simply buy up other companies that are having hard times, back the original name and produce branded products to fill in where they don't have products. They sell under both names and both have high quality bypassing all that R&D needed to build from scratch.

This kind of stuff goes on all the time in electronics. When I worked for Big corporations, they would buy up small dealers to expand their direct sales and dump all the middle men. They would also buy out competitors that had good products but had been sucked dry or miss managed. For awhile they may run the two as separate companies, then they merge it into one. They absorb the technology and patents in the process.

I'm working for a private dealer now. They are doing very well and the owner grew the company from scratch. I can easily see it being sold to a big manufacturer in 10~20 years for big bucks. Then they go through the process of keeping the people they find most valuable and laying off those they don't. I been through that process at least a dozen times already.

The advice I got from my Electronics instructor when I was getting my degree was, don't expect to work at any electronics company for more then 5 years and expect to spend the rest of your life reeducating yourself. No truer advice have I heard because its been that way since I first became a tech in 76

Archived