Bang-for-buck half stack for heavy crunch tone in the UK? Marshall DSL50?

AlexJHolland

• Members

Hey, I've been recording with a drum and bass producer, playing heavy downtuned riffs to blend in with his beats.. with some more saturated lead playing too.

I'm a big Tool fan (love that poweramp chunk) but go for a higher-gain tone.. Actually, the hardcore band Terror have a great tone!

Some of the guitar work sampled by the Prodigy would be a good reference in terms of being high gain, with plenty of swooping wah-work.. although I want a thicker, chunkier tone.

Most guitar work with drum and bass/beats sounds thin and sampled.. I want to capture something authentically chunky.

We've been using Native Instruments Guitar Rig, but it's hard to avoid that buzzy mush..

I just want a simple two channel amp that's heavy as hell, chunky, reliable, reasonable for driving at lower headrooms (not a 120W!) at a reasonable price.

I just run a Crybaby 535Q with a line-boost currently and play an SG with a Bare Knuckle Warpig.

We're likely to play around with some pedals and sending sampled guitar out of the laptop and into the amp to record.. So just a chunky, reliable workhorse!

I recall (a few years back, when I was more into gear) the Marshall DSL50 head and a 1960 cab was regarded as a great workhouse for heavy rhythm work?

the DSL50 seems to have been discontinued, but I'm looking second-hand, so that's no biggie. I get that a 100W amp would just increase the headroom and therefore mean I have to go louder to get a chunkier, power-amp heavy tone?

I'd consider digital solutions.. Or is the feeling still that a valve amp pushing real air can't be beaten for a heavy, chunky guitar tone?

We'll be using it in his studio initially, then live.

Thanks! Alex

• 2 months later...

Archived