Questions about Silverface Twin mods

SGThree

• Members

Just Bought a 73 Twin in pristine condition. Having so much clean headroom in a small space seems to be the challenge now. I read that by pulling the middle two 6l6's and disabling one speaker on a blackface, this will effectively drop the power to 40 -50 watts while having an impedance of 8 ohms on the one speaker.

Does it matter what speaker is dropped out, and I assume this works the same on a silverface as it does a blackface.

• Members

I'm not sure if the '73 Twin has the pull-out Master Volume switch or not. If it does, you can unplug the reverb springs to get a bit more gain in the Vibrato channel with the Master Volume pulled out. This, combined with pulling two of the power tubes and a Les Paul driving it, can take the amp's overdrive into useful territory.

A strat is still going to need some help with that amp but a clean boost or a compressor will work quite nicely with it as well as your favourite overdrive pedal.

• Members

Hi SG3,

I have been using a blackface twin for 0ver 25 years now, without too much trouble in a small space. I have to admit I'd usually use a smaller amp for home practice- the Mustang III works GREAT for that.

But now that you have a twin, we should use it right? The thing I love about my twin is that I can use it with any pedal, preamp or modeller, and it makes everything shine. Even a metalzone can have usable tone with a twin....lol.

If you just want drive or distortion, a stompbox will serve you well. I liek the ones that have dual functions like a drive and boost button. Basically you could turn it into a 3 channel amp easily. Great cleans and essentially custom made distortions. Something like this :

FluxFive-large.jpg

a little pricey, so maybe this?

J00341000000000-00-120x120.jpg

at home, I lower the pedal volume and raise the amp volume- somewhat like a power soak. Playing out, you can gradually raise pedal volume- then do amp volume to taste or prudence. :)

I wouldn't really recommend taking out tubes or speakers. Essentially that is what something like a JSX does. but it is by design. You have a big amp- it likes BEING big. With a pedal and discernment it's doable.

I have the twin for playing out or when I can be loud, and the Mustang III for lower level playing. Perfect.

Archived