Help!!!!

Elclapitan

• Members

The Marshall has a much higher resale value. If there isn't any additional money involved in the trade it sounds like a good swap to me. Given the age of the Model T, If you haven't done a recap job on it, you may avoid having to rework that amp. You're going to loose some wattage of course but a 100W Marshall is still more then enough to peel the paint off the walls.

• Members

Cool, thanks. The trade is straight up no cash, except for shipping. The T is a great amp, and is second to none for doomy type tones, but the awesome bass response really limits the projection. The JMP seems to nail proto metal, classic and southern rock tones pretty well. This will be my first tube Marshall so I'm pretty stoked.

• Members

Yea I can see it being a tough choice. I have a Marshall and a Sunn. The Marshall is only a Valvestate but I used to own a Plexi 50 long ago which was stolen from me. The Sunn is a late 70's 200W Concert Lead which is probably the most tube like SS head I've owned.

I had a bass player who owned a Model T Bass amp from around the late 70's which was 300W. On the back of the amp there was warning sticker the amp would damage your hearing. It was the truth. He could bury anyone with that thing.

The Marshall 100 is a very loud amp and since the wattage is based on clean tones it's actually much louder then its rated for. Add to that the upper mid tones that cut through a mix where its supposed to, I think you'll be OK. I haven't used the JMP 2203 myself but I have used the Plexi 100's many times. Its really good live amp and needs to be opened up to sound good. A lot of people trade them off for something less powerful because they are overkill for smaller gigs.. I still plan on getting another 50W plexi at some later date. The Valvestate isn't bad considering it only has one preamp tube and uses Mosfets. Too bad the 50's are so hard to find and expensive now. I may have to build one myself If I cant find the one I want.

Archived