Can my HIWATT G100 COMBO drive a separate cabinet instead of it's own 12" speaker?

oddbeck

• Members

The subject about says it all?

I run my GT-8 straight into the "RETURN" on my HIWATT, and thus get my sound quite OK, but could I instead use the G100 as a top with say a cabinet 4x12", and what would the effects be?

• Members

In the back of the amp I have this "Line Out" JACK, is this what would be connected to a separate cabinet, or do I have to disconnect the speaker wires and make some sort of wire to connect to the cabinet instead?

I also have a "Ext Speaker Out"-connection, could this be used instead? As of right now I have now way of testing this as I don't have a 4x12" cabinet.

Here's a URL to my model:

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/hiwatt-maxwatt-g100/27060

• Members

"Ext speaker out" means external speaker out, that's the jack you need to use. The line out is the signal from the amp's preamp and won't drive a speaker. Since this amp is apparently a solid-state transistor amp, you really don't need to be concerned with speaker impedance - that is, matching the ohms of the speakers to the "ohms" of the amplifier. Having said that, you'd probably be best to use an 8 ohm speaker cabinet.

If you do decide to get an external speaker cabinet, be sure and purchase a proper SPEAKER CABLE (you Brits call it a 'lead', eh?) to make the connection between the amp and the speaker cab. Even though a guitar cable can be plugged in, the wires are much too thin for connecting a speaker. You risk damaging your amplifier if you use a guitar lead to connect the speaker instead of the proper speaker cable. They're not expensive either.

• Members

Sweet, this is just the answer I was looking for :) I've read a lot about connecting separate heads onto cabinets, but found less info on connecting combo amps to cabinets. The speaker cable is ALSO something I wasn't aware of until I read it 20 or so minutes ago, but I know a bit about electronics to know you'd like to use a thicker cable for that connection, thanks for the tip though.

Do you know if the speaker on the combo will be left out when I connect a cabinet to the 'speaker out' jack, or would it play through both the combo and the external cabinet?

Thanks for your answers, I really appreciate being able to get in touch with people who know more about this than I do :)

• Members

Do you know if the speaker on the combo will be left out when I connect a cabinet to the 'speaker out' jack, or would it play through both the combo and the external cabinet?

It may or may not depending on the amp. The head is 8 ohms so using another 8 ohm cab will run the amp at 4 ohms. This is usually safe. I wouldn't try and run it any lower then that and I'd check and make sure the chassis isn't heating up to where its too hot to touch when running it that way.

"Some" solid state combo heads cannot run at 4 ohms. Marshall Valvestate Combos are one example. They use Mosfets instead of transistors on the output and they cannot be run below 8 ohms. The head version will safely run at 4, 8 or 16 ohms. They figure a guy who uses a combo will be using the built in speaker and the guy who buys the head will run different types of cabs and need more versitility.

I have an older Sunn head that runs fine at 8 or 16 ohms, but if I try to run it at 4 ohms it gets way too hot. Again its uses Fets. I tried to find the manual on line but the Hiwatt site doesn't have jack. The best thing you can do is email them just to be sure it will handle 4 ohms. If you are using it properly and it smokes, you have a warrantee. If you abuse it, you don't.

Oh and using a guitar cord may not damage the head unless the two connectors short together That may or may not happen depending on the wattage but it will fry the cord from the inside out. Those cables are designed to take less then a volt and ultra low current.

When you use them for a speaker the insulation around the core wire can melt. Then it lets oxygen in and the copper tarnishes. Once it tarnishes the individual strands rub together making poor contact with each other. Then when you use it as a guitar cable, it winds of being crackly and microphonic. You move the cable around and it makes all kinds of noise. Just get the right speaker cable. They look like lamp cord with the two separate wires side by side. I usually make my own from old lamp or extension cords and just solder some good jacks on them.

• Members

I don't know... time to get out your owner's manual if you have one. I did a quick search on line and couldn't find a manual. I did notice that your amp has both 4 ohm and 8 ohm external speaker outputs.

Oh and using a guitar cord may not damage the head unless the two connectors short together That may or may not happen depending on the wattage but it will fry the cord from the inside out. Those cables are designed to take less then a volt and ultra low current.

This is basically true, but I still wouldn't risk burning up an amp for lack of a £9 speaker cable. Since the OP is wanting to connect a 4x12 cab to an amp that can put out 120 watts, I'm guessing this is not for bedroom practice.

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/stagg-ssp-1-5-1-5-ph-head-cab-lead/6579

• Members

I don't know... time to get out your owner's manual if you have one. I did a quick search on line and couldn't find a manual. I did notice that your amp has both 4 ohm and 8 ohm external speaker outputs. "]

What I saw was a HIWATT G100 and a HIWATT Maxwatt G100. I think the Maxwatt is a different amp, possibly a newer version and it does have 4 & 8 ohm outputs. The non Maxiwatt just has a single output and the specs say the amp is 8 ohms. Not sure if that's the amps total impedance, or if the external jack will allow another 8 ohms cab to be connected to run at 4 ohms. I don't think there would be an issue running 8 ohms otherwise why put an extension jack there. I always think its a good idea to know for sure. Emailing the manufacturer is the best way to go so you know for sure.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I never got to try to connect this to a separate cabinet, and now the amp has gone 'sour', so to speak. I've contacted the company that sold this unit to me, and I'm awaiting their response.

Here's a video of the new amp, suddenly started to make noise as I started to tune the guitar.. The amp's making noise no matter what, and I haven't switched it on for a couple of days.

• Members

It may or may not depending on the amp. The head is 8 ohms so using another 8 ohm cab will run the amp at 4 ohms. This is usually safe. I wouldn't try and run it any lower then that and I'd check and make sure the chassis isn't heating up to where its too hot to touch when running it that way.

"Some" solid state combo heads cannot run at 4 ohms. Marshall Valvestate Combos are one example. They use Mosfets instead of transistors on the output and they cannot be run below 8 ohms. The head version will safely run at 4, 8 or 16 ohms. They figure a guy who uses a combo will be using the built in speaker and the guy who buys the head will run different types of cabs and need more versitility.

~SNIPPED FOR SPACE~.

From the Marshall Manual:

"Rear Panel Features

1. Mains Input

For connection to mains. Always ensure that a good

quality lead and plug are used and wired in accordance

with your country’s regulations.

2. Head Phone Jack

For connection of headphones. Connection of

headphones will automatically cut off internal speaker.

3. & 4. Loudspeaker Jacks

For connection to external loudspeakers. The

minimum operating impedance for the VS100R, VS100H

& VS102R is 4 Ohms. The internal speaker on the

VS100R/VS102R is rated at 8 Ohms, therefore if using an

external speaker in conjunction with the internal speaker,

the external speaker should be rated at 8 Ohms"

The VS100R (1x12 combo with reverb) *CAN* run at 4 ohms. But when running both internal speaker and cab- the cab must be 8ohms. A Cab by it self can be 4 ohms.

At least...according to Marshall.

• Members

I am really curious why wkrp didn't respond.

he said you can't hook up a cab to a VS combo. Marshall says you can. wkrp disappears. Why? Werid...wkrp is a wordy opiniated son of a gun- you'd think he respond....what the hey.

• Members

I thought this thread was done so I had no reason to respond. Calling others names to get attention doesn't do anyone any good. What you call as opinionated is called experience in my world. If you haven't learned to spot the difference its likely a sign you lack that experience.

The VS100R (1x12 combo with reverb) *CAN* run at 4 ohms. But when running both internal speaker and cab- the cab must be 8ohms. A Cab by it self can be 4 ohms.

I believe that's what I read in the manual. I don't think it's designed to run at 16 ohms either, but the head is. I had to do allot of digging to find the correct info years ago because I bought a 1960 cab for the head and wanted to be sure it can run at 16 ohms. I'm not sure where I found it. It may have been in the full manual I got with the head, not the short versions you get on line. If not it was something posted by Marshall I found out there.

I do research the gear I own so I don't get into situations that cause problems. I do advise others to do the same. If you have it in print then you have proof it was running properly in case there's a warrantee issue. If you just say the hell with it and plug something in you shouldn't, then you only have yourself to blame when it fails.

Another note is the Valvestate heads put out maximum wattage at their recommended impedance. I get 100W at 4 ohms, 80 at 8, and around 75 max with 16 ohms, so I rewired my 16 ohm can for 4 ohms and only run one cab. This is common with many solid state heads, especially PA heads.

Archived