Best amp substitute for Marshall half stack for gigging?

Rocktone

• Members

Whats up guys? My set up right now consists of a Marshall JCM2000 Half stack and an assortment of pedals. This is my main sound for my Original Band that I currently play in. That project is slowing down but not shutting down. I am looking for a different amp that I can use for smaller gigs doing covers and such on the side along the lines of Heavier Blues and Southern/Classic Rock stuff. I don't want to lose the bark of My marshall but need somehting versatile and easy to transport around for gigs. A couple amps I was looking at was the Fender Hot Rod series and also the Fender Supersonic 60 watt head with 2x12 cab. Even the smaller Marshall DSL series.

The room is open to suggestions.

• Members

I'm kind of in the same boat, but I do have several amps as substitutes. The amp I'd like to find isn't going to be cheap however. I really love the sound of those older Marshall twins. I've seen many bands use them and they just got that great midrange tone and enough highs to cut through a mix.

For fenders, the Hot Rods are definitely good amps for a combo. My preference is for a Blonde Bassman though. They made a reissue several years ago and If they are close to the originals they are one of the best stage amps to have. You can replicate just about any kind of music with them and they always sound great miced.

I can tell you those Marshall Valvestate are decent sounding amps. Allot lighter then tube amps. I have a little 15 watt version just for practice. Its a loud sucker for its size but an 8" speaker isn't good for much. You need a minimal of 35w with those amps to jam with a band. a 50w is gigable. I use my 100w about half way up and its good for just about anything, but its still a head cab combo. Its fine in the studio because I don't have to haul it around.

I did pick up a 65W peavey studio combo recently for chump change. If you run the clean channel and use a Marshall governor pedal you can get some decent Marshall tones. The drive channel is not a Marshall. Peavey has allot of bite and much different gain staging so you don't get that creamy smooth drive. The pedal will give you that tone and drive on just about any amp though, so even a Fender can get those tones if you need it.

Its just Fenders have a different EQ stack and different ranges to the mids, highs and lows. You don't get allot of 5Khz like a Marshall unless you boost allot of treble as well, so getting that from a pedal is the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members
I just got a Bugera 6262 and it sounds better than any marshall I've tried. and its much cheaper.

NO JOKE !

There is a three piece here in my city.

The guitarist uses a Bugera 1960 and a home made cab, with Emi speakers.

He used that amp for close to 4 years now. (gig twice a week)

NO PROBLEM.

He replaced the stock tubes (on day 1) with JJ's and never looked back.

He has no back up head either. Dodgy, but it's the truth.

All he uses is a few GOOD pedals (mostly Marshall voiced) with the natural gain of the amp.

And they sound bloody GOOD !

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Marshall 1x12 combo probably makes the most sense if you like their sound.

If you go with the Fender Hot Rod dlx you may want a marshall voiced pedal like the ToneBone Hot british. I have one and it's versatile. I can make it sound just like my Carvin MTS (hi gain) amp or do bluesy with its gain all the way down.

• Members

Another vote for the DSL40C. Try to find a store where you can a/b it against a blackstar HT-40, and pick which ever one you like most.

A bit cheaper, and very loved where ever you read: Jet City 5012C. Probably more soldan-esque though, whatever that means. I've got zero jet city experience personally, I'm just going on what I read and hear...

• Members
I found a 1982 Vintage JCM800 Combo for about $750 and it is the best combo I have ever played. Got it on eBay in excellent condition and is the same circuit as the Head JCM800. I just changed the Tubes and going to change the Knobs which are stock but some are cracked. They used cheap plastic knobs on a JCM back in 1982 but everything else is high quality UK made. Also a Real Spring Reverb full tank!

The DSL40C is OK but lots of Hiss at high gain due to all the Op Amps and Transistors in the design. The Reverb channels are DSP and at Full depth you can hardly tell it is on so will add my own Reverb in the FX loop. But if you can find a JCM800 Combo 50 Watt for about the same price it is a loud Amp and low noise and great Marshall tone.

I have a JCM 800 2x12 50 watt combo. Killer amp

It's kind of a one trick pony, but what it does is amazing

Mine has been with me since 1983.

I can't upload pics here, but it looks like this

If you need more tones. I'm not gonna recommend it.

No reverb on mine either, but that is an easy fix with the many reverb pedals out there.

marshall-4104-jcm800-master-volume-lead-1981-1989-192601.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I have an Egnater 30w rebel combo. Love the little sucker. Has 2 6V6 and 2 EL84 tubes. You can mix between them and 30 watts down to 1 watt. It also has a recording out for quiet recording. I use it for going direct into the sound board and use the amp as a monitor. It is very loud. Cuts through nicely with drums and a heavy handed bass player.

• Members
Whats up guys? My set up right now consists of a Marshall JCM2000 Half stack and an assortment of pedals. This is my main sound for my Original Band that I currently play in. That project is slowing down but not shutting down. I am looking for a different amp that I can use for smaller gigs doing covers and such on the side along the lines of Heavier Blues and Southern/Classic Rock stuff. I don't want to lose the bark of My marshall but need somehting versatile and easy to transport around for gigs. A couple amps I was looking at was the Fender Hot Rod series and also the Fender Supersonic 60 watt head with 2x12 cab. Even the smaller Marshall DSL series.

The room is open to suggestions.

I like the HRD 2x12 I have but it's heavy. The 40 watt 1x12 is a little different but a good amp.

I echo the "get a smaller cab" crowd. Even a decent sized 1x12 would work great. Save you from buying another amp, keep your settings...etc.

A peavey C30 is an excellent choice if you want a small crunchy combo that easy to haul. Familiar tones can be had as well. Not the high gain of the 2000, but a nice crunchy distortion that sounds great boosted.

Archived