HELP!!! value on a Sunn Dymos 2x12 combo

jmh2014

• Members

Hey folks!

I have a line on a 1969/1970 Sunn Dymos 2x12 combo amp. I can't find too much about them online and so I don't know what a good price should be. It’s at $160 right now. This one is fully functional, has some scratchy pots and a small dent in the wood at the bottom. The original plug has been replaced with a 3 prong one. I think these originally had this goofy pinstripe grill cloth but this one has the regular silver checked type that other Sunns of this era had.

So what do you all think, is this a good price? I’m gonna try to talk him down regardless but I kinda need to know what I’m dealing with, yaknow? Any opinions would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

• Members

Oh, I suppose they could sell for up to $400 but most go for around $250.

The amps only 40W and the original speakers were low budget Eminence speakers with the square magnets.

Sunn made some of the best solid state amps, using FET's and sound very tube like. Marshall and Vox used Mosfets for their newer

SS amps because they sound much better than transistors. Sunn's lower wattage solid state amps aren't anything super special though.

My buddy had a 2X10 30w version and though the sound quality was good, its really didn't have any balls even driving it with pedals.

100W is about as low as you want to go if you want to compete with a 30W tube amp. I'd be worried a 40W SS amp isn't much good form much more

than a practice recording amp.

I have a 200W Concert Lead head that sounds great next to most tube amps. My Marshall Valvestate is only 100W and it barely cuts it live.

My advice is try it out before buying. If you can get it for $200~225 you'll probably do OK.

I'd check the speaker cones to make sure the paper isn't dried out and ready to crack. If you do buy it, I'd change the power caps immediately.

My Concert lead was a 1976 and they were all oozing electrolyte.

Archived