Best amp for Electric 12 string? [Vox Phantom XII Stereo]

Snake Island

• Members

Currently I run through a Teisco Checkmate 100 tube amp which has a custom 115 and 210 cab with tilt back. (Sweet Spot just too loud for it)

I also use a new White Vinyl Vox AC-15 Custom, but I think it lends less grit then I desire to the combo. (You wouldn't think so)

Anyway here a video of my guitar, what do you think would be the best option?

I am open to any year or circuit. I just ask that its not hideous, like all those mid 2000's modeling amps or 80's-90's

solid state fenders.

It sounds dumb, but presentation/looks are important to me with my performance I am all about this whole vintage Resurrection thing.

Link -

Thanks guys, let me know!

-Garrett

• Members

I'd think just about any amp might be better than a Teisco.

My first guitar was a Vox and though it gave me some cool tones with its built in electronics,

I never considered it to be a stellar sounding guitar. I had a Mosrite amp that sounded pretty

good with it. I later bought a Blackface Bassman that had a cab loaded with Altecs and it was

like day and night for sound quality.

I sold the vox and got a 60's Epiphone Rivera and again it was like Day and night. It was a big step

up from the vox guitar because it had mini humbuckers and I could get some decent drive tones from it.

Then I eventually moved to a Marshall and other Gibsons and Fenders.

Since that guitar has those stereo pickups, If you want the most from the guitar you'd either need

a true stereo amp or a pair of amps. Budget wise a pair of Peavey classic 30's might do the job.

Or maybe even a pair of Line 6 amps and have different effects on each. You could go from playing strings with nice echo tones

to something overdriven without even having to step on a pedal.

If you have a bunch of pedals then simple amps may be all you need.

I wouldn't rule out using a stereo power head and dual guitar preamps to drive the two channels either.

You'd be able to dial up different tones for the wrapped strings vs the unwrapped strings

It would require two matching cabs as well.

Best thing you can do is just take the guitar down to a music store and start trying amps and come up with the best match.

• Members

My first guitar was a Vox and though it gave me some cool tones with its built in electronics,

I never considered it to be a stellar sounding guitar. I had a Mosrite amp that sounded pretty

good with it. I later bought a Blackface Bassman that had a cab loaded with Altecs and it was

I sold the vox and got a 60's Epiphone Rivera and again it was like Day and night. It was a big step

up from the vox guitar because it had mini humbuckers and I could get some decent drive tones from it.

Since that guitar has those stereo pickups, If you want the most from the guitar you'd either need

a true stereo amp or a pair of amps. Budget wise a pair of Peavey classic 30's might do the job.

Or maybe even a pair of Line 6 amps and have different effects on each. You could go from playing strings with nice echo tones

I wouldn't rule out using a stereo power head and dual guitar preamps to drive the two channels either.

You'd be able to dial up different tones for the wrapped strings vs the unwrapped strings

Best thing you can do is just take the guitar down to a music store and start trying amps and come up with the best match.

Well I mean Teisco had some pretty nice tube amps. This was model wasnt originally designed for export. Its a 100 watt Tube amp that essentially was designed like an old audio receiver.

Highly Complex and reliable, just for me too clean for the low output pickups.

I personally love it for my 6 string guitars.

• Members

Well I mean Teisco had some pretty nice tube amps. This was model wasnt originally designed for export. Its a 100 watt Tube amp that essentially was designed like an old audio receiver.

Highly Complex and reliable, just for me too clean for the low output pickups.

I personally love it for my 6 string guitars.

Archived