Speaker Swap Marshall dls40c

twd2550

• Members

I guess I am ready to swap speakers in the Marshall dsl40c. I have narrowed down my choices to wgs vet30 or a retro30. My concerns on both of those is 1) I know the vet30 will tame the treble a little but will it still cut through the mix for solos and such? 2) The retro30 seems to have more treble than the vet30 so since the dsl is more on the trebley side will it not be a good match? Thanks!!!

• Members

The SPL is about the same so you shouldn't take a dip in volume.

The 70/80 is an 80W speaker ins a 40 watt amp so there's allot of clean headroom.

The 30 waters you're considering will max out at 30 watts so part of your volume dial is

going to flatten out and give you no more volume. Speakers sound best when you run them between 50~75% of max.

That would make a 60w speaker about ideal depending on the head.

Personally I wouldn't go lower than a 40 watt RMS speaker in a 40W RMS combo

unless you're using an extension cab with a second speaker, and only them make sure you use

the correct impedance total. When you go with a lower wattage speaker it messes with your EQ and

gains because they are calibrated to working at those volumes so your voicing can change quite a bit

from what you're used to. Plus at 30w you'll be clipping the speaker which can damage the voice coil if you run it full up.

Archived