How does Peavey valveking sound with distortion/overdrive pedals?

mbengs1

• Members

Much like any other amp.

It depends on the pedal types of course.

The Valve king may sound better than other solid state peaveys.

I'm not a huge fan of their amps myself. The ones I've owned tended to

sound harsh and even their classic 30 which my friend used for years playing

with me in a band didn't impress me. By old Bassman head would blow its doors off

for sound quality, especially using pedals. They do have a Niche for some of their loud heads

getting metal tones, but that sound is about all they can get.

A DS1 has that scooped middle metal tone so if that's what you're looking for it will

likely get you that edgy metal tone with a Peavey amp. Maybe not as good as a

6150 or 6505 but you could get close enough plus you can do it at reasonable volume levels.

• Members

Do you mean a distortion pedal into the clean channel or distortion into the distortion channel? I got one a few months back because it was super cheap new and used it for a couple hours before selling it. The clean channel is not that loud for 100 or 120 watts although it sounds pretty good with a good distortion pedal into it. You get a lot of breakup with this amp at moderate volume levels but it's not a high quality tube breakup sound. I'd look out for a used XXX or something similar with a clean channel instead.

• Members

My buddies band has Peavey as a sponsor so they use nothing but Peavey amps and Guitars most of the time.

When they do use other amps the band sounds allot better to me. The public doesn't seem to notice because the band is

really good. The main Guitarist/Singer was in Dickey Betts band for awhile and can tear up any gear he uses but

I can hear the quality of his guitars improves when he pulls out his Eganter and Bugera amps and run them as a pair.

Allot has to do with the guitars used too. In most cases you just have to try them to know if they suit your style.

I played in many bands and split the bill with many other bands doing shows so Hearing different pieces of gear

occurred a couple of times a week. Then you'd have the nights where you just used the other guys gear and

You'd know after the first song whether it cuts the mustard or not.

Archived