Can't decide on an amp...Please Help!

adkilgore812

• Members

I need some advice on choosing an amp. I've had my heart set on a VHT Pittbull 50 for quite some time. In looking around I've seen reviews, both good and bad, for the Bogner Alchemist. No store around me has one to go try out for myself. I love Bogner tones but there's no way in hell I can afford an Ecstasy or an Ubershall. I realize the Alchemist is a mass produced and is their "economy" version. My question to anyone honest out there is, does the Alchemist uphold the Bogner tone reputation? OR should I just keep going for the Pitbull?

My budget is around a grand and able to go up to $1400 or so.

Looking for a thick, warm tone. Something that's not too super gainy but I'd like to have the option if I wanted to.

Probably one of my favorite tones right now is Jerry Cantrell's tone on the last AIC record "Black Gives Way to Blue". Obviously I don't want to clone anyone's sound but that's a damn good starting reference.

Also, I've also seen some good stuff about Egnater but have NO idea about these amps.

Any suggestions, opinions, info would be greatly appreciated.

• Members
Looking for a thick, warm tone. Something that's not too super gainy but I'd like to have the option if I wanted to.

When I read that, I thought of Dr Z amps. You should be able to find a used combo within your budget. The Maz 18 Jr just might be what you're looking for. I think it's one of the best little amps around short of the boutique PTP wired ultra expensive stuff.

Archived