4x10 open backed Cabinet for high Gain?

Balthazar Munoz

• Members

Open backed cabs are great for medium to small clubs and stages where you dont have the space for monitors and miced instruments. The drummer can hear the guitar from the back of the cab instead of hear a low midrange thump from the side of the cabs or what ever reflec ts back at him.

One of the best stage amps made was the Blonde Bassmans that has 4X10" open backed. Ask any sound guy whose ever miced one as to the tone you can get from them.

Not all speakers sound good in open backed cabs though so beware. Some require the sealed cab to act as a shock absorber to push the cone back out and suck it back in. Run in an open backed can thay may wind up farting out with the lower strings, Otherwise many sound find in either cabinet type. You can actually get allot more bass and punch from an open backed cab wityh a well matched head. I brought my 4X10 cab and used my Marshall Valvestate on it at a gig recently and blew the doors of a bigger Line 6 head and 4X12 cab. The other guitarists whose into metal stuff liked the tone so much he traded amps with me for a few hours trying it out.

• Members

WRGKMC wrote:

Open backed cabs are great for medium to small clubs and stages where you dont have the space for monitors and miced instruments. The drummer can hear the guitar from the back of the cab instead of hear a low midrange thump from the side of the cabs or what ever reflec ts back at him.

One of the best stage amps made was the Blonde Bassmans that has 4X10" open backed. Ask any sound guy whose ever miced one as to the tone you can get from them.

Not all speakers sound good in open backed cabs though so beware. Some require the sealed cab to act as a shock absorber to push the cone back out and suck it back in. Run in an open backed can thay may wind up farting out with the lower strings, Otherwise many sound find in either cabinet type. You can actually get allot more bass and punch from an open backed cab wityh a well matched head. I brought my 4X10 cab and used my Marshall Valvestate on it at a gig recently and blew the doors of a bigger Line 6 head and 4X12 cab. The other guitarists whose into metal stuff liked the tone so much he traded amps with me for a few hours trying it out.

This is sound advice from WRGKMC(No pun intended)  (Ok maybe a little) I've always loved the sound of my '67 Fender Super Reverb. 45 watts, 4/10" speakers. Bought it used in '74 and it was my main amp for years. The original speakers started sounding kind of tired, so I swapped them out for Eminence 10's.  The exact thing WRG just described happened. At max volumes, the speakers sounded like they were farting.

Ended up getting the original speakers reconed, put 'em back in and they sounded close to as good as they used to be. Then I bought a Marshall JCM 900, a 50 watt 2/12 open back amp. Sounded great man...at least on over drive..That great Marshall tube distortion. But ended up switching between the Fender and the Marshall. The Marshall clean tones just weren't up to scratch..or I'm just not the tonemaster I'd like to be. They just didn't have the bottom the 'Ol Super has. The warmth..Anyway..

I think you need the option of both closed back and open back frankly. I don't play out anymore, or even with other people so I sold the Marshall last year. Built a closed back cabinet for the Eminence speakers and it's surprising how different the two cabs sound. It's too hard on the old Fender to run 'em both at once, but it's a neat option. Already had the speakers and was just out the bucks for the 3/4" plywood, the glue and the screws.

Wish I'd held on to the Marshall a bit longer to see how it sounded through the 4/10 closed back cab now...

I kinda drifted off here didn't I? I need a leash.

Archived