Marshall Class 5 anyone?

thom

• Members

I may be able to score one for less than what a decent distortion pedal would cost me. The wattage is far more suitable for home use than that of my ac15C2.

A couple of questions though, cause it's not possible anymore to go try this amp out in a local music store:

-I can't seem to find a youtube demo that doesn't make this amp sound boxy and well...'generic'.It's like mimmicking a real Marshall tone. Which isn't all that surprising I guess, it's not like I expect to sound like a plexi half stack for $100. Still though, anyone here who can point me to a clip that could sell me on this amp?

-I know it's not meant to play clean and quiet, but stil...Wouldn't it be able to sound somewhat okay at 'living room volumes' if I used something like a Hotcake with it? Just a touch of dirt to beef it up maybe?

I guess I'm looking for an excuse to pick this amp up, it looks neat and all the specs are there. Just not quite sure if it'll end up collection dust or if it'll actually be my main practice/wank amp...:s

• Members

Meh, I'd find a Roland Cube for that purpose. I've seen them going for around that same kind of price on craigslist, and the Cube just is a neat little amp all around; it's a tiny modeling amp with decent sound. You could get that Marshall sound out of it, and a bunch of other sounds too. 

• Members

thom wrote:

I may be able to score one for less than what a decent distortion pedal would cost me. The wattage is far more suitable for home use than that of my ac15C2.

Since I own both, I can tell you for a fact that a Marshall Class 5 does not sound like a Plexi.  It's a 1-channel 5-watt Class A amp that is available as a head or as a combo.  Hopefully the one you are considering is not banged up, if it's that much of a bargain.  

As a side note, I've been constantly amused for several years running now how metalheads and the like are totally surprised just how LOUD a "silly" Vox AC30 can be when they finally get a chance to test drive one.  Even an AC15 is quite loud.   :lol:

• Members

Radar-Love wrote:

thom wrote:

Since I own both, I can tell you for a fact that a Marshall Class 5 does not sound like a Plexi.  It's a 1-channel 5-watt Class A amp that is available as a head or as a combo.  Hopefully the one you are considering is not banged up, if it's that much of a bargain.  

As a side note, I've been constantly amused for several years running now how metalheads and the like are totally surprised just how LOUD a "silly" Vox AC30 can be when they finally get a chance to test drive one.  Even an AC15 is quite loud.  
:lol:

I used to have an AC30C2X, and I can't say I notice a helluva lot of volume difference with the AC15C2 I recently bought. It's got a little less headroom, and as far as I remember the tone might be slightly different..

But with both amps dimed, they're both louder than what any regular rehearsel or small club gig would ever need impo. 

About the roland cube...I gave one an honset try once, and than antother one not too long ago.

I may be spoiled when it comes to amps. I've owned some fine vintage fender/orange/marshall amps in my day...Which may be why the cube sounded thin and really uninspiring to me. Probably in the same way the Class 5 wouldn't impress the sh*t out of me. 

I guess I should spend my GAS money on other stuff instead, and hook up my attenuator to the C15C2 when I wanna noodle at home:s

Archived