I think my appartment broke my Bugera 6262 Infinium!

ZH666

• Members

Yo! First of all, I've searched around and found no one who seems to have the same problem as I do, nad I don't even know if this is the right forum to post on, lol. Here we go!

I own a Bugera 6262 Infinium since a year and a half back and it has been great! I bought it second hand, and the previous owner had it for almost a year also.

Now to the problem, today when I decided to play some riffs on my guitar, I plugged the amp into the wall, let the tubes warm up, as usual, and after about 1 minute, I flicked the standby-switch.

I hear a wierd noise, ("sckrreeek", distorted, sort of, and then nothing). I look at the back of my amp, and all the lights for each tube are going crazy! Flashing on and off. (If a light is on, it means the tubes are going bad, (the infinium system)). I shut the amp off, and then switched it on again, the lights has stopped. Great, the amp probably just readjusted the bias or something.

But now, the powerlight aint glowing, in fact, no lights at all on the amp is glowing, and I thought it got no power at all, but the tubes were still working, however I started to smell something burnt while sniffing over the tubes. What the hell happend? Did I blow a fuse?

Btw, I can hear a constant, very low humming from my speaker-cabinet, but that's all the sound it makes, no riffs want to come out!

I'd appreciate some help here, I don't want to play on my small practice amp more than I need! ;)

Since I bought it for just 150 bucks, is it worth fixing? I've began to look at a Randall Diavlo RD100 instead... :p

• Members

Dear ZH666,

That doesn't sound like a good day! It's possible there could be a power supply issue, or an issue with one/several of the tubes - actually, many things are possible. I would recommend getting in touch with our customer service and technical support people at care@music-group.com to see what they think about this type of issue and what the options may be, even though you're not the original purchaser. Feel free to PM me as well, if you like.

Thanks, and good luck! 

• Members

Kinda sounds like a cooked power switch. If the pilot light isn't coming on but the tubes are, Half the switch can be cooked inside and the contacts are going bad. That would account for the tubes flickering too.

To test the switch you need to disconnect all power then test across the switch terninals with an ohm meter as you toggle the switch the switch should go from zero ohm on, infinity off.

The problem is with AC switches is thay may reas good with a low voltage meter and arch out when a big load on them so even if it reads good, it may be going south.

Depending on the switch type you can sometimes take the switch appart and reburnish the contacts and rocker plate. If its a plastic switch you spread the sides to remove the actuator. You have to watch out because theres little springs and pl;astic slider caps on the springs in there that can shoot off and be lost. Metal switches can be taken apart too. Most have metal hooks to hold the switch together and keep pressure on the rocker contact. Some smooth sandpaper to get rid of all the arch marks can usually fix the problem. Or you can just buy a new switych for it and not bother.

The tube arching can also be a bad rectifier tube or loose connection inside. I'd start with a look at the switch first. Its the most common cause of your symptom.

Archived