Tone King Amps. Opinions?

The Working Man.

• Members

I am ready to invest in a hand wired tube guitar combo, and after searching through the endless boutique amp market, I think the Tone King Sky King seems perfect for my needs. It's quite a bit more than I wanted to spend, but I can do it after saving a bit longer. My main issue is reliability. I live in New Orleans and I gig regulary. It is hot and humid down here, and electrical equipment is put to the test. Any Tone King owners out there? What problems if any with service and back up?

• Members

Sorry I can't offer specific help,,,, I just wanted to say the Sky-King appears to be a great amp. If I'm not mistaken, you get two built-in Iron-Man attenuators, and the reverb and tremolo are apparently superb.

I've been shopping for a new amp, and there's a small shop nearby which has the Tone-King amps in-stock, including the Sky-King. Very tempting, but so are the Carr Rambler and Viceroy.

Seems to me that Tone-King has been around for quite a while, so I'd be surprised if there's any issues regarding service and performance. I've been researching these amps extensively for months now, and can honestly say that I've not come across a single issue regarding the Tone-King amps.

• Members

I had a Sky King briefly, but flipped it. It was an okay sounding amp for sure, but I never really bonded with it. I always wished it had just a little more oomph. As Bobby mentions above, you might look out for a used Carr, they are gorgeous sounding and built like tanks. 

I've been pretty happy lately with my Bruno Cowtipper, and Blackface Deluxe.

Archived