Primordial-style distortion tone

Nightblood

• Members

This is my first post here, so apologies if it's not entirely according to the etiquette.

I've always loved the guitar tones that Primordial have achieved on their last couple of albums, particularly the albums To The Nameless Dead and The Gathering Wilderness. See here:

Though it's highly distorted, it sounds beautiful! In the song Empire Falls, you can hear how neatly the guitars crunch under palm mutes, and in the second song you can hear the fullness of the tone with tremolo-picking and apparently no little delay.

I'm not looking to replicate the tone, because obviously it involves much more than merely guitar amps. I just need some help in narrowing down my choices when it comes to guitar amps. When I saw the band live, the guitar sound wasn't that far removed from what they've achieved in the studio.

In an interview, one of the guitarists commented that Marshall JCM2000 is the best head in his opinion because of the excellent cleans and crunch. On (some) tour, they used ENGL amps. Currently I have an ENGL Screamer, and while it handles trebles and mids nicely, it's overly harsh compared to Primordial's smooth tone. However, from what I've heard (both from other players, and from my own tests), Marshalls are often even harsher sounding with screaming trebles and little smoothness. Perhaps a particular cabinet or speaker element would help in achieving a smoother tone from amps with rich trebles and mids?

Thanks for reading!

Archived