Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I bought a Roland Micro Cube practice amp. It's good.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marvo
    Anyone else have the speaker buzzing out problem or is it only me,just wondering if I should take it back and try another one.

Like I said earlier, mine only really buzzes with pickups that are mildly hot. With low output pickups I can crank the gain and volume for the JC setting and it is clean as can be. Very nice... With the hot ones I have to turn the gain down quite a bit before it will stop buzzing. The problem is that you lost quite a bit of volume when you have to do this. This cube loves my ibanez artcore and I can literally crank it for the cleans and it is smooth and clear. No buzz...

Comment

Just got back from music store,tried two other micros and they were ok,so it seems my amp had a problem.So now I am happy with the micro-cube.

Comment

'til now I haven't had the problems some of you have. I use mine with an Ibanez RG7420 with Blaze pups, and the sound never gets distorted. I haven't tried with my PRS Hollowbody yet maybe it will sound better.

Comment

Just got back from music store,tried two other micros and they were ok,so it seems my amp had a problem.So now I am happy with the micro-cube.

It is very sensitive to the signal, though. That's how it cleans up with the turn of the guitar's volume. Pretty neat...

Comment

Originally posted by Terje

One of these days I will buy one. It could be great for playing in the street after work.

+1
            I already have one "micro" amp, epiphone 1 watt... but microcube kills it.. One day I'll buy all micro amps that I can find (MC, marshall 1 watt, fender micro twin (something like that))... these things are really funny and some are great like MC, but it would be cool to have them all
            I love to put that little epi around my neck on a belt and walk around in my neighbourhood playin some sweet blues...

Comment

So the micro wouldn't work well with EMG 81 pickups?
              <div class="signaturecontainer">LPbluesboy<br />
              <br />
              &quot;Winning isn't everything, but its the only thing that matters&quot; - Robin<br />
              <br />
              2004/5 Fender ST57-78TX Stratocaster <br />
              <br />
              Member of the Mazi Bee Militia</div>

Comment

Originally posted by LPbluesboy
                So the micro wouldn't work well with EMG 81 pickups?

I dunno. I would try it out and see. Mine seems to like lower output pickups. I guess it depends on the tones you are looking for. It is just a practice amp, afterall.

Comment

alright.

I'll get my guitar teacher to try it out.
                  <div class="signaturecontainer">LPbluesboy<br />
                  <br />
                  &quot;Winning isn't everything, but its the only thing that matters&quot; - Robin<br />
                  <br />
                  2004/5 Fender ST57-78TX Stratocaster <br />
                  <br />
                  Member of the Mazi Bee Militia</div>

Comment

Thanks to all the rave about this amp here on these forums,I went out and bought one these micro- cubes today myself.
                    I like it alot except for the speaker craps out on mine on the low notes even at lower volumes, is this normal for this amp or should I take it back and get another one.
                    Lower volume means even at 1/4 or 1/2 way up its worse on the
                    stack and the brit combo mode also when using more gain it gets worse.

It does that when I use my LP but never when I use my SSS Strat.

I will have to try reducing the volume of my pickups.
                    <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;You have just destroyed one model XQJ-37 nuclear powered, pan-sexual roto-plooker....and you're gonna have to pay for it.&quot;<br />
                    <br />
                    -- Frank Zappa<br />
                    ---------------------------------------------<br />
                    Gear:<br />
                    '83 Am Std Strat<br />
                    Nelsonic Lester Atomic Series<br />
                    '71 Twin Reverb w/JBL's<br />
                    Roland Microcube<br />
                    ProCo Turbo Rat w/Keeley 3-Way Mod<br />
                    Boss CH-1 Super Chorus<br />
                    Mi Audio Tube Zone<br />
                    Morley Power Wah (hard wired AC)<br />
                    Boss RC-2 Loop Station<br />
                    Dunlop Crybaby Classic</div>

Comment

Originally posted by ColorsoundKid

Actually, I made a thread over at www.webervst.com and Ted Weber is going to look into the possibility of making a 5 inch replacement speaker that could add volume and headroom to the amp. I think there would be a lot of people who would go for that kind of mod on this amp.

I would jump on it as long as it was priced well.
                      <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;You have just destroyed one model XQJ-37 nuclear powered, pan-sexual roto-plooker....and you're gonna have to pay for it.&quot;<br />
                      <br />
                      -- Frank Zappa<br />
                      ---------------------------------------------<br />
                      Gear:<br />
                      '83 Am Std Strat<br />
                      Nelsonic Lester Atomic Series<br />
                      '71 Twin Reverb w/JBL's<br />
                      Roland Microcube<br />
                      ProCo Turbo Rat w/Keeley 3-Way Mod<br />
                      Boss CH-1 Super Chorus<br />
                      Mi Audio Tube Zone<br />
                      Morley Power Wah (hard wired AC)<br />
                      Boss RC-2 Loop Station<br />
                      Dunlop Crybaby Classic</div>

Comment

My MC farts out so badly on the bass end that I've pretty much given up using it till I replace the speaker. I had it apart; the replacement is easy, though the impedence is odd if I remember correctly -- 6 ohms or something. I looked around for a hi fi sort of replacement on the assumption that the speaker is only reproducing the sound of the amp, not contributing to it, but I've not gotten anywhere. I'll be watching this space with interest.
                        <div class="signaturecontainer">Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -- Philo</div>

Comment

Originally posted by Hollow body
                          My MC farts out so badly on the bass end that I've pretty much given up using it till I replace the speaker. I had it apart; the replacement is easy, though the impedence is odd if I remember correctly -- 6 ohms or something. I looked around for a hi fi sort of replacement on the assumption that the speaker is only reproducing the sound of the amp, not contributing to it, but I've not gotten anywhere. I'll be watching this space with interest.

If the amp is 6ohm, i dont think there would be any problem using an 8ohm speaker, that can only make life easier for the amp and it will probably get louder too.

The again I am not an expert on these matters.

Comment

I got a Roland Microcube along with the American Deluxe strat (you're probably thinking, you'd have to get a Marshall half stack with that) because I need a good practice amp that is not loud as hell (like a Marshall half stack) in order to sound good. I was thinking maybe I can strap the amp to my leg and walk around playing some killer heavy/death metals... Guys in Asia seems to listen to nothing but pop... its time for an introduction.

Comment

sorry, old thread..
                              but did anyone actually get a speaker swap completed with a micro cube?

The only thing I would like from it would be a bit more headroom on the clean settings and volume. In order to remedy that I bought a 6" jensen Mod speaker to replace the 5 inch speaker. I may have to bust out the jigsaw on this one.
                              <div class="signaturecontainer"><div align="left"><font face="Arial"><font size="2"><font color="royalblue"><a href="http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?p=41200050" target="_blank">2x4 Telecaster build</a> - | - <a href="http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=004080900652691008906rqykr38524" target="_blank">killer HC search</a></font></font></font><br />
                              </div></div>

Comment

http://www.lojeck.com/brian/MicroCubeRepair.html

check that out..
                                <div class="signaturecontainer"><div align="left"><font face="Arial"><font size="2"><font color="royalblue"><a href="http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?p=41200050" target="_blank">2x4 Telecaster build</a> - | - <a href="http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=004080900652691008906rqykr38524" target="_blank">killer HC search</a></font></font></font><br />
                                </div></div>

Comment

Working...
                                X