So how do I get my money back from Carl Zwengel?

Grubgoat

• Members

Back when Lenduffy was trashing this guy, I was the *only* person here standing up for Carl Zwengel. I'm done. It's been over a year now, still no amp, but I've gotten plenty of excuses. I've got all the emails and PM's between us concerning our agreement and his receipt of my money. Plus the PM a few weeks ago claiming the amp is on its way. (which of course never came).

So what's my next step? I can call the Princeton Ill. police dept., though I'm not sure what they can do. I can get an attorney. There's lots of things to be done. Any legal brains out there want to offer some advice? My thought is, either he gives *ME* the money or an amp, or he'll give it to an attorney and whatever court costs.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, I think the final ball is in his court.

You have to ask yourself...at this point do you even want the amp anymore? It seems like setting deadlines aren't working so it's time to take action. I would simply tell him what you stated. If you don't have your money back in a short time frame, that you will be forced to take legal action...then follow through with it.

It's sad it has to come to these types of things but that's what happens when people aren't ready or prepared to run their own business.

• Members

Originally posted by Grubgoat

Back when Lenduffy was trashing this guy, I was the *only* person here standing up for Carl Zwengel. I'm done. It's been over a year now, still no amp, but I've gotten plenty of excuses. I've got all the emails and PM's between us concerning our agreement and his receipt of my money. Plus the PM a few weeks ago claiming the amp is on its way. (which of course never came).

So what's my next step?

I'd start by sending him a letter setting out exactly how this transaction has taken place thus far and telling him exactly what you want -- i.e., your amp, or your money back, or either (although I have to agree with Bob that I don't think I'd settle for anything less than my money back, and from a legal perspective you probably are not entitled to the amp). Give him a firm deadline to refund your money in full, and state that if he does not meet that deadline you will take legal action. Then, be prepared to take legal action. You may be able to file in a small-claims court or something like that and avoid the expense of a lawyer if he doesn't refund your money, but whether or not you end up hiring a lawyer, it's good to have a copy of that letter setting out exactly how the transaction took place and listing your demands in a very clear fashion. If you have the PMs, emails, etc. it shouldn't be too hard to prove your case.

EDIT: You may want to look into whether, if you end up suing him, a court can order him to pay your attorneys' fees and litigation costs. That will depend on what state's law applies.

• Members

I don't know if Carl was like this but I'm skeptical of anyone who has to resort to mostly the internet to drum up business for themselves.

Nine times out of ten they are ill-equipped to deal with the stresses of the business and it's a poorly thought out and executed venture.

I may be wrong but it just seems that people think, "oh I'm on the internet...anyone can run a business here...." and voila...another failure.

• Members

Originally posted by ranalli

I don't know if Carl was like this but I'm skeptical of anyone who has to resort to mostly the internet to drum up business for themselves.

Somebody on this board does exactly that too...:rolleyes:

Report him to the BBB for one than it will go on record. I'd also file a complaint with the local authorities/Magistrate.

• Members

The FBI has a site to report internet fraud. Since agreements were made via email, it should apply. Below are links.

http://www.ic3.gov/

http://www.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp

Also, state authorities may or may not be able to look into it. Had a similar situation with someone on Florida. Their fraud department stated it would take multiply complaints, or a monetary value of over $1000 before the state would open an investigation.

To make a compliant to the Illinois Attorney General, go here.

http://www.ag.state.il.us/consumers/

Have fun,

CSB

• Members

Thanks for the replies. I'd already sent him a PM (my thought on getting an amp is, if I don't want to keep it, I can ebay it for most of my money back) telling him specifically what I want - that's saved in my HC user stuff, do I need a physical copy?

I also was interested in the Internet Fraud stuff, I just wasn't sure if this would apply. Thanks for those links!

So no {censored}, if Carl or one of his buddies are reading this, I'm moving ahead with any action I can take. No more "just a few more weeks" compromises. I get free legal service from the UAW and from friends, you're not gonna cost me any more money... If you're too broke to pay me, what's a lawyer gonna say? Your best bet is getting my money or an amp to me NOW.

• Members

(my thought on getting an amp is, if I don't want to keep it, I can ebay it for most of my money back)

My only thoughts on this are...What if you end up getting the amp and something goes wrong with it? Will you feel comfortable sending it back to him for repairs?

If you sell it on Ebay and the warranty is transferable, would you really want someone else to go through the same hassles?

I'd be more leaning toward telling him to eat the amp. I don't think he has a leg to stand on in this matter. He should refund your money.

• Members

Originally posted by lenduffy

I wasn't "trashing" Carl....I was mearly stating the truth about how Carl chooses to conduct "business". The guy is a fraud....period.

Go to the cops.
:mad:

Don't take that the wrong way, I didn't mean anything by it. Like your angry face, I'm just a little pissed right now, that's all.

• Members

Don't take that the wrong way, I didn't mean anything by it. Like your angry face, I'm just a little pissed right now, that's all.

Nah man...no offense taken, I'm just sorry you have to go through the same BS I did.

• Members

Well, and I'm also trying to offer him an easier out. He claims to be broke. I doubt he's gonna want to give me $1600. But I'd bet he's got a couple amps sitting around. I may lose money, but at least I can save *a little* face and be done with this whole thing. But no, I'd never bother to go to him for warranty work, etc.

And yes, I'd rather have my money back.

• Members

I'd take advantage of the free legal resources you have and go after him with the full force of the law. I'm sure he can find something to sell to come up with $1600! You'd be surprised what a little legal persuasion can do.

I'd never take one of his amps though. What if he deliberately alters it to fail after a short while...like putting in an undersized tranny or something! He could screw you over even worse than he's doing now. Plus, the clips I've heard of one of his amps sounded like {censored} anyway!

Scumbags like that need to pay some legal consequences.

• Members

So I filed a claim with the FBI internet tonight. I will mail my complaint to the Illinois Attorney General's office tomorrow. The Better Business Bureau I'm not so sure of, or the Princeton PD.

So other than getting a lawyer, am I just waiting now, or are there more people I can rustle up to get after this guy?

Archived