Smaller amp similar to Vibro King?

fuzzbox

• Members

Have u tried all three or do u base it on the "Vibro" part?

I have heard good things about the Vibroverb so I'll check it out but the Vibrolux I dont think is that close actually. Especially the RI that is even a far cry from the original Vibrolux unfortunately.

I assume u mean the RI Vibroverb as the vintage is hard to find and super duper expensive to boot. :D

I think even the RI is has a pretty tag.

How about other brands...any of Top Hats models?

Thanks for the info!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

They don't call it the King for nothing. Reverb that can be adjusted with 3 knobs; dwell, mix & tone. You won't see that in other Fender amps, not to mention the vibrato which is really cool even if you can hardly hear it set at about 4. The tone is fat. Only one channel. To me that is the way to go, step on your fat switch pedal if you need more gain. The best feature is that it is all point to point wiring from the custom shop, not from an assembly line of machines soldering pieces together. The volume and tone controls also control a lot. A minor adjustment really makes a difference. If you have the tone controls down to "0" and the volume up, you will get no sound. they all interact with each other unlike any other amp I have seen. You have to crank the volume up past 5 or 6 to start the tube break up in order to get that vintage bluesy sound. (A Hotplate may be necessary if you need lower volume but still want the tube breakup). I have a Blues Jr, and an Evil Twin, and a Marshall DSL 100 1/2 stack. They don't come close to the Vibro King. The Marshall does have it good points though for rock but it's not good for vintage blues, or soul & funk.

It's worth the 60lbs. It will keep you in shape too. LOL

• Members

The Vibrolux and Vibroverb probably aren't going to cut it.

The Vibro King doesn't have the traditional Blackface/Silverface-style preamp that the Vibrolux Custom and Vibroverb RI uses. The King has a more aggresive preamp that is easier to push hotter.

While the Vibro King isn't excatly a Brownface-style preamp either, Brownface-style designs might prove a litte closer to its character.

If you don't go vintage, then you can look at the Top Hat Club Deluxe or Super Deluxe; Allen Hot Fudge; or the Dr. Z Z-28. The problem is most of these amps don't have many of the features of a Vibro King (many lack reverb).

The problem is none will probably be real close to the Vibro King, it is a fairly unique amp. But, I understand you on size. I generally only play 1x12" amps anymore.

-Y.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I use both of these amps - the Vibrolux more only due to smaller rooms. These two are very similiar in tone. You can split hairs on the differences but as far as a 40 watt smaller cabinet, only 2 10's, etc. versus a 60 watt larger cabinet, 3 10's, etc. - in the Fender line - I find them to be very complimentary.

No, no two amps ever sound exactly the same but for me, I would highly recommend the "Custom" Vibrolux Reverb as a step down from the Vibro King.

I play mostly strats. But my 335 and Les Paul sound great through each as well.

No effects. Blues, Soul, Groovin' Rock music.

• 14 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I've owned my '65 Vibrolux Reverb since 1972, it was my main amp on and off until 1999 [in 1977 I bought a used/modified Marshall 100SL/1960A half stack, sold in 1980...just too much amp for my needs]...too loud for most club work without pedals, and I generally do not use pedals [i own a bunch though...go figure😜]. It is now semi retired, only used for 'big stage' outdoor gigs, which, ATM ain't happening...as amps go [and I own a bunch..go figure😜] the VR is outstanding for cleans and deep reverb, the 2x10 pushes plenty of air, and when the tubes are heated up, the tone is pure vintage Fender BF.  Great amp for rock-a-billy, swing, big band...and if you can open it up all the way, blues and rock [pedals help keep the volume under control...did I mention that I own a bunch?]...:wave:

The VibroKing is a very different amp, IMHO, with very interesting capabilities, but at 60W, it, too, is far too loud for bar gigs unless you use pedals. The VK,, and later, the Custom Vibrolux, IIRC were both designed by Bruce Zinky, [who moved on to designing for the new Supro line]. I was waiting for something along the same lines from Supro, but so far no comparables.

As far as a 'smaller' VK...there is the ProSonic [also a Bruce Zinky design], which is 2x10 60W [in Class AB mode with a SS rectifier, 30W in Class A with a tube rectifier, and 50W in class AB with a tube rectifier] A very interesting beast the Prosonic, not really Fender-y, more like a Mesa Boogie that wants to be a Marshall. Supposedly the SuperSonic was the 'next' evolution of the line, although, I don't see much similarity.

Archived