Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just got a marshall dsl tube amp. it has buzzy nasty distortion(unwanted).Please help

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Highgrade
    I bought the DSL 50 head yesterday and returned it today for that same reason. The clean channel was sweet Marshall clean and punchy but the lead channels suffered in my opinion at least at volumes one plays in their home/basement/garage. I got the MESA BOOGIE F-50 combo instead and its sweet!

P.S. I personally did not like the spring reverb it had. Sounded artificial to me. My Marshall MG HDFX100 head (soilid state) had better reverb than the DSL 50!

I, on the other hand, liked the spring reverb a lot. Basic, but quite good sounding IMO. And the DSLs don't really sound so great when the volume control is under 3. That's where attenuators come in.
    "Walking the fine line between bacon and Christian."

Comment

sorry if the title of my thread confuses you. But I am not complaining about the amp's sound. I am refferring to a distortion (dont confuse this distortion with the overdrive distortion, its sort of like a buzz and not on all frequencies, it is a problem. I have listened to another amp like this one at a store without that problem.

Comment

Be sure that you have your tone controls on "0".

Most Marshalls say "0" to "10".

*To me*...that means that you are adding EQ. Any time you ADD EQ (as opposed to subtracting...lowering), you can add noise.

For some reason, guitarists need to have everything 5 and dimed.

Go to "0" on all your tone controls. Slowly bring them up as the volume comes up....(depends on how the EQ is put in the circuit).
        Keep the highs as low as possible. All this will depend on your volume and gain.

Also...I don't understand why there is such a difference in the head or combo. Can it REALLY be the elctronics? I thought they put the same guts in the combo and head. Could it just be going into the right cab?

Comment

the thing is only at clean channel with gain turned up high and the dirty channel.

normal cleans seem to work sweet. The distortion has the problem. STill havent figured out what it is...

Comment

Originally posted by 17 Tubes
            Be sure that you have your tone controls on "0".

Most Marshalls say "0" to "10".

*To me*...that means that you are adding EQ. Any time you ADD EQ (as opposed to subtracting...lowering), you can add noise.

Not really, unless it's an active EQ. With a passive EQ section like on most amps, the controls only subtract, not add.

As far as I know...
            Originally Posted by Norton666 (15/07/2009)

Give it 6 months and the Axe-Fx will be mentioned in the same sentence as the Johnson Millenium stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadNight Warrior

Not really, unless it's an active EQ. With a passive EQ section like on most amps, the controls only subtract, not add.

Exactly. Afaik all Marshalls have passive tone controls that only cut so no extra noise will be caused by the EQ controls. And even if they had active EQs they would be setup so you can both cut and boost, therefore 5 would be the neutral position with no boost/cut.

The DSL combos also have a completely different circuit and different power tubes as well compared to the DSL heads. So they are not just the head stuffed into a combo (which IMO would've been a much better idea).

Do you have the amp connected to a grounded outlet?
              "Walking the fine line between bacon and Christian."

Comment

Originally posted by LaXu

Do you have the amp connected to a grounded outlet?

Yes,
                but its not humming problems I am experiencing...

Comment

Originally posted by DeadNight Warrior

As far as I know...

That's why I later said it depends on how the eq is installed in the circuit. Sometimes you need to add EQ for the signal to make it through the system....

Make sure to read the whole post.

Comment

Originally posted by 17 Tubes

That's why I later said it depends on how the eq is installed in the circuit. Sometimes you need to add EQ for the signal to make it through the system....

Make sure to read the whole post.

Sorry, but IMHO having "depends on how the EQ is put in the circuit" in brackets amidst all the other stuff does not equate to "Oh, by the way this is only really if you've got an active EQ in your amp, which chances are you don't, so this doesn't really apply".

Originally Posted by Norton666 (15/07/2009)

Give it 6 months and the Axe-Fx will be mentioned in the same sentence as the Johnson Millenium stuff.

Comment

guys you are taking it off topic now. Can you help on the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by pureanalog
                        Hi folks.

Today I received by UPS a Marshall DSL201 20 Watt all tube amp.

4 12ax7 preamp tubes and 2 EL84

The amp sounds well when played at the clean channel with the clean channel gain control under 4-5 and master volume at moderate to quite loud levels. When gain is turned up or when I switch to the dirty channel I get this nasty distortion. Not the kind of distortion one wants but rather a buzzy and fuzzy distortion like the speaker has a problem or something. But no it is not the speaker.

I did this test. I hooked up the PODxt to the Effects return input and used the POD as a pre-amp. Everything sounded pretty fine.

So the problem must be somewhere in the pre-amp section right??

I swapped the pre-amp tubes positions with one another and nothing changed.

I emailed the guy who sold the amp to me and he claims that the amp was working fine before he sent it.

I also noticed that the REVERB has an effect on this problem. When turned up its nastier. But it doesnt change anything drastically though.

This buzzy distortion makes the amp unusable.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Ummm...
                        it's new Marshall product...
                        sounds par for the course to me...

buy engl and be saved
                        My list of garbage:

1989 Mesa MarkIII Blue Stripe (possibly for sale)
                        1997 Mesa Triple Recto 2-Channel
                        ENGL 580 Midi Pre (ON THE WAY!!!)
                        ENGL INVADER 150 (Comming Next Week!!!)
                        Marshall JMP-1 (BRAND NEW IN BOX FOR SALE With 5 Year warrenty!!! $849.00)
                        Mesa 2:90
                        2x Modded 6505 Plus Heads
                        2x VHT Fat Bottom 4x12 Cabs
                        Bogner 4x12 Uber Kab
                        Bogner 4x12 Straight Kab
                        Marshall 4x12 1960BV Cab - (mint for sale 575.00)
                        Mesa Recto Standard 4x12

Comment

guys you are taking it off topic now. Can you help on the problem?

Nobody can help you, that much is clear. If something is wrong with the amp it doesn't sound like a common problem. You're going to have to take it to a tech or trash it. I wouldn't suggest selling that amp to another poor soul.

Comment

Originally posted by Filter500

Nobody can help you, that much is clear. If something is wrong with the amp it doesn't sound like a common problem. You're going to have to take it to a tech or trash it. I wouldn't suggest selling that amp to another poor soul.

Thats what i needed to know. If this is a common problem or sign that the tubes are going bad.

I am taking it to the tech tommorow morning.

Comment

Thats what i needed to know. If this is a common problem or sign that the tubes are going bad.

I am taking it to the tech tommorow morning.

i have one and i think it sounds great, especially for the $400 i spent (new). the are a number of forumites that hate this amp for no good reason. ignore them. you can get some great vintage blues and rock tones out of this thing. and the clean aint nothin to sneeze at either, as you have already discovered. three things i've found that you may find helpful:

1. like the others said, krank those EL84's. i NEVER have my MASTER below 3 o'clock, usually higher even. it can really sing when these guys are working hard. adjust volume at the indivdual channels.

2. on the gain channel, it starts to sound mushy when GAIN is at 12 o'clock or so. i don't go higher than that and don't need to. no, this is definitely not metal amp, but like all marshalls, you can put a light OD in front to push it into higher gain land (i use a Boss SD-1 - they're great and only $40-50 new). but i love this amp for classic rock and crunch (for example, Led Zep at GAIN=9 o'clock, AC/DC at 10 or 10:30).

for more info on tone tweaking the owners manual is quite helpful. it explains in great details how to achieve different tones. you can download a pdf off of the Marshall site.

3. you may consider replacing the speaker. the stock speaker is a bit thin. i put a used Celestion V30 ($70) into mine and it really added some balls. plus it's a more effeicient speaker so you get a bit more volume out of it.

but regarding your problem, assuming that the EL84's are indeed new and ok, the simplest thing you should first try is to swap out all the 12AX7 (ECC83) tubes and rebias, which they made very very simple on this amp. it's just a the turn of a pot - literally. and you need a voltmeter, which you can get cheaply at a hardware store. (i have documents that explain the bias procedure. pm me if you're interested.) anyway, i think this would be cheaper and easier than a tech as a first try at solving the problem.

btw, i have all JJ's in mine and i love 'em.

good luck.
                              be sure to post the conclusion to your saga!

bz

Comment

Originally posted by freaksho

i have one and i think it sounds great, especially for the $400 i spent (new). the are a number of forumites that hate this amp for no good reason. ignore them. you can get some great vintage blues and rock tones out of this thing. and the clean aint nothin to sneeze at either, as you have already discovered. three things i've found that you may find helpful:

1. like the others said, krank those EL84's. i NEVER have my MASTER below 3 o'clock, usually higher even. it can really sing when these guys are working hard. adjust volume at the indivdual channels.

2. on the gain channel, it starts to sound mushy when GAIN is at 12 o'clock or so. i don't go higher than that and don't need to. no, this is definitely not metal amp, but like all marshalls, you can put a light OD in front to push it into higher gain land (i use a Boss SD-1 - they're great and only $40-50 new). but i love this amp for classic rock and crunch (for example, Led Zep at GAIN=9 o'clock, AC/DC at 10 or 10:30).

for more info on tone tweaking the owners manual is quite helpful. it explains in great details how to achieve different tones. you can download a pdf off of the Marshall site.

3. you may consider replacing the speaker. the stock speaker is a bit thin. i put a used Celestion V30 ($70) into mine and it really added some balls. plus it's a more effeicient speaker so you get a bit more volume out of it.

but regarding your problem, assuming that the EL84's are indeed new and ok, the simplest thing you should first try is to swap out all the 12AX7 (ECC83) tubes and rebias, which they made very very simple on this amp. it's just a the turn of a pot - literally. and you need a voltmeter, which you can get cheaply at a hardware store. (i have documents that explain the bias procedure. pm me if you're interested.) anyway, i think this would be cheaper and easier than a tech as a first try at solving the problem.

btw, i have all JJ's in mine and i love 'em.

good luck.
                                be sure to post the conclusion to your saga!

bz

I have listened to an ENGL thunder 50 Watt combo and I wouldnt say that it was a definite winner over the DSL marshalls. They sound different and one might prefer the marshall sound.

I think that one listens to the other in the forums and while they never have listened to a particular piece of gear they hate it or love it...

Great tone will come if you own plain decent gear. The rest is up to the player. I bet that some players will sound decent even if you give them a crappy solid state combo and a crappy guitar.

Changing the speaker is one of my plans once I decide I like this and will not sell it. I am thinking about either a Greenback or a V30 used.

There is a used ENGL screamer combo if i add another couple of hundred EUROS to the amount I would get selling the Marshall. But Marshalls and Les Pauls kind of belong together dont they?

Thanks for the tips regarding the settings. I already have the manual in print version. I will check out your settings once the amp is healthy. We have a similar guitar( Gibson Les Paul Studio) only mine is equipped with a PAF from a 1980 standard in the bridge

check this thread about it

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=871034

I thought that pre-amp tubes do not neet re-biasing. Could you please elaborate?

thanks for being so helpful!! I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                                X