The Randall MTS thread.

aepoc

• Members

Post reviews, clips, trades, etc. We all know the clips on the Randall site leave something to be desired.

I have the TWEED and SL+ modules in my RM50 combo. The TWEED has a stellar clean with the gain at 9 o'clock and below, and can get really gritty up past that. I use the TWEED and my strat (neck pickup) for all my clean sounds, and I'm 100% happy with it.

I had the PLEXI module, but traded it in for the SL+ due to it having more gain. I like the SL+, but am not completely sure it's the hi gain sound I want. I'm actually looking for a RECTO if someone would like to trade. I'm also wondering how much gain the XTC has, and if someone could post clips.

Here are some clips I've posted with the TWEED and PLEXI modules:

Clip 1 (TWEED): www.aepoc.com/RMclip1.mp3

C-1 Elite, burstbucker pro's. Neck pickup. Vol and tone max. Gain 9 o'clock, bass full, mid 1 o'clock, treble 1 o'clock, bright ON. No pedals. SM57 mic'd off-center, pointed at cone. V30 speaker. Avatar 2x12 cab.

Clip 2 (TWEED): www.aepoc.com/RMclip2.mp3

C-1 Elite, burstbucker pro's. Bridge pickup. Vol and tone max. Gain 9 o'clock, bass full, mid 1 o'clock, treble 1 o'clock, bright ON. Maxon OD9 in front (drive 12 o'clock, volume 12 o'clock, tone 1 o'clock). SM57 mic'd off-center, pointed at edge of speaker. V30 speaker. Avatar 2x12 cab.

Clip 3 (PLEXI): http://www.aepoc.com/RMclip3.mp3

C-1 Elite, burstbucker pro's. Neck pickup, vol and tone at max. Gain 3 o'clock, bass 4 o'clock, mid max, treb 12 o'clock. Bright switch ON.

At 8 seconds: Pickup change from neck, to bridge.

At 57 seconds: Line 6 delay turned on, along with Maxon OD9 (drive 12 o'clock, volume 12 o'clock, tone 1 o'clock).

At 1:05, NBC's chime, followed by feedback.

SM57 mic'd off-center, pointed at edge of speaker. V30 speaker. Avatar 2x12 cab.

Clip 4 (PLEXI): http://www.aepoc.com/RMclip4.mp3

C-1 Elite, burstbucker pro's. Neck pickup, vol and tone at max. Gain max, bass 4 o'clock, mid max, treb 12 o'clock. Bright switch ON. SM57 mic'd off-center, pointed at edge of speaker. V30 speaker. Avatar 2x12 cab.

Clip 5 (PLEXI):

http://www.aepoc.com/RMclip5.mp3

C-1 Elite, burstbucker pro's. Neck pickup, vol and tone at max. Gain max, bass 4 o'clock, mid max, treb 12 o'clock. Bright switch ON. Maxon OD9 (drive 12 o'clock, volume 12 o'clock, tone 1 o'clock). SM57 mic'd off-center, pointed at edge of speaker. V30 speaker. Avatar 2x12 cab. (First riff is Scorpions - Alien Nation, I butchered it).

Clip 6 (PLEXI):

http://www.aepoc.com/RMclip6.mp3

Strat, neck pickup. Vol and tone max. Gain 9 o'clock, bass full, mid 1 o'clock, treble 1 o'clock, bright ON. No pedals. SM57 mic'd off-center, pointed at cone. V30 speaker. Avatar 2x12 cab. **Along with noise reduction, slight EQing done, slightly boosted 400hz, 800hz, 1.6kHz (one notch) via BOSS GE-7**

Clip 7 (TWEED)

http://www.aepoc.com/stratclip_1.mp3

Strat, neck pickup. Close-mic'd with an SM57.

***I don't have any clips of the SL+ yet***

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mine sounds marvelous! I do get some strange low end flub when I crank the gain and bass too high on my XTC module, but I am running a 212 cabinet as well.

The XTC module to me is really voiced towards the plexi module with boatloads more gain. By far my favorite high gain module!

I do have an ultra lead module I'm looking to unload. Very minimal playing time. It's been phased out of my rig by the XTC module!:)

~Kurt

• Members

Actually the ultra lead isn't too bad. Of course I'm talking about this from the standpoint of a parker fly which has lower output pickups in it than most guitars. Sorry man, I don't have the ability to make clips and our bands last CD was recorded shortly before I switched to the MTS gear so I can't post that either... The whole CD was done with a XXX.

~Kurt

• Members

Originally posted by colormebloodred

is it just me or does everyone else notice the weird high end fuzz that sames inherit to every mts i've played/heard?

If you listen really close, there is a inherint fizzy gain sound bleeding through the clean tones, but not enough to hear from two or three feet away (even cranked). I gig with mine and you can't even hear it on stage.

• Members

Originally posted by fit2-btied

If you listen really close, there is a inherint fizzy gain sound bleeding through the clean tones, but not enough to hear from two or three feet away (even cranked). I gig with mine and you can't even hear it on stage.

I'll have to see if I can hear that next time I play.

• Members

Guys,

We recently had a part change on the Clean, Deluxe, and Blackface modules. A resistor value at the input stage of the modules was causing an overload to the very front end of the module resulting in a slight crackling or distorted sound that could not be dialed out.

The part change can be made to all the modules, but is really only audibly apparent on the cleaner type modules.

If you have some experience with changing parts its very easy, if not we'll be happy to change the part out for you. Otherwise, any local electronics repair place can change the part in a just a couple of minutes. The below part is available at Radio shack.

Find the part labeled R1 on the far left side of the board middle of the way back. Currently it's a 470 ohm resistor which should be changed to a 150 ohm resistor. This will eliminate any and all crackling you will find in the cleaner modules.

Any questions, please e-mail or contact us. Also please pass the word.

Thanks,

RD/MAN

(800) 877-6863 ext. 5172

http://info@randallamplifiers.com

• Members

Originally posted by RD/MAN

Guys,

We recently had a part change on the Clean, Deluxe, and Blackface modules. A resistor value at the input stage of the modules was causing an overload to the very front end of the module resulting in a slight crackling or distorted sound that could not be dialed out.

The part change can be made to all the modules, but is really only audibly apparent on the cleaner type modules.

If you have some experience with changing parts its very easy, if not we'll be happy to change the part out for you. Otherwise, any local electronics repair place can change the part in a just a couple of minutes. The below part is available at Radio shack.

Find the part labeled R1 on the far left side of the board middle of the way back. Currently it's a 470 ohm resistor which should be changed to a 150 ohm resistor. This will eliminate any and all crackling you will find in the cleaner modules.

Any questions, please e-mail or contact us. Also please pass the word.

Thanks,

RD/MAN

(800) 877-6863 ext. 5172

Thanks! Once again, you guys are on it! Rick

• Members

Great info on the cleaner modules RD/man......

I've only had my RM 100 a couple of days. Here's one question:

Is it at all possible to order a metal grill and swap it out with the cloth one?

Still working on dialing this thing in. The recto is my current favorite. It does sound pretty thick and mean. Not fast attack at all like my Powerball but I bet it's going to cut very well in a band situation.

One slight issue is that two of my axes sound very poor thru the amp. One is a thin-bodied Jackson w/emg's and the other a Paul Gilbert Ibanez (PAF's I think?). My emg loaded heavy mahogany schecter sounds nice and thick thru the amp. What pickups/guitars are you using with these amps? I heard the tone zone was a good one? I play low tuned Metal fwiw. I'm running this thing thru a Diezel 4x12 and G-flex 2x12.

Does biasing make a noticeable diff in tone? I hear that preamp tube swaps don't impact the tone like other amps?

Are there plans for any new modules in the future? What amp is the Ultra based off of?

I'm full of questions ain't I?:D

• Members

Originally posted by shred-o-holic

Great info on the cleaner modules RD/man......

One slight issue is that two of my axes sound very poor thru the amp.

Does biasing make a noticeable diff in tone? I hear that preamp tube swaps don't impact the tone like other amps?

I'm full of questions ain't I?
:D

I mostly play my 2001 ESP KH-2 - EMG81s, sounds awesome.

My Gibson Goth (LP Studio) sounds pretty good with stock pickups. (498T and 480R maybe???)

My JEM77FP still has that percussive vibe that I love about the Dimarzio's in it but sounds woefully thin :-/

I swapped power tubes 2 or 3 times in the RM50 but it didn't have anywhere near the magnitude of difference I expected - Probably because I was comapring with my DR which has very different bias values per mode, whereas on this amp I just biased up to the 'correct' value.

For the record I tried (in the RM50HB):

Ruby EL34 - didn't care for these (maybe mine are worn)

GT 6L6S - didn't try long enough

Mesa EL34 - sounded OK, needs more testing.

Mesa 6L6 - didn't try long enough

GT E34L - sounded pretty good (gave 'em to Mike)

JJ E34L - sounded good (as ever)

I need to give my 6L6s more of a chance...since I tend to prefer EL34 (again another DR learned preference.) These amps seems to be bass heavy, possibly another reason I didn't like the 6L6s on a quick listen.

Someone else has said changing pre-amp tubes to ones closer to the originals (e.g. NOS tubes) works very well...be nice to hear from that person (don't recall the nick.)

I have a very limited # of pre-amp tube types but changing V1 in the amp didn't seem to do much(Is this just an input bufffer rather than a true gain stage it would be in most amps?)

Edit....suppose I should post that I'm playing through my Mesa Recto Oversized 2x12 (wonderful cab)

Archived