No announcement yet.

The Randall MTS thread.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by colormebloodred
    is it just me or does everyone else notice the weird high end fuzz that sames inherit to every mts i've played/heard?

If you listen really close, there is a inherint fizzy gain sound bleeding through the clean tones, but not enough to hear from two or three feet away (even cranked). I gig with mine and you can't even hear it on stage.
    Rick Skillman
    North American OEM Sales Manager
    Celestion LTD UK

65 Royal Albert / 65 1x12 w/ Gold
    Matchless Clubman / Matchless 4x12 w/ 65's
    Carp Moonfish 22
    Twin
    Loads of other stuff
    A medium pick
    and more...

Comment

Could that be a slight crosstalk problem on those?
      www.hurljam.com

Comment

Originally posted by fit2-btied

If you listen really close, there is a inherint fizzy gain sound bleeding through the clean tones, but not enough to hear from two or three feet away (even cranked). I gig with mine and you can't even hear it on stage.

I'll have to see if I can hear that next time I play.
        **ROCK ON MAZI BEE**
        XT Brotherhood
        SAVE ROCK!
        Me on Flickr

Originally Posted by SirGarrote

You're losing teh rawk.

Originally Posted by Gainon10

I think putting an amp on less than "10" is a fear of committment.

Originally Posted by mattburnside

Liar. Women don't understand fractions.

Comment

Guys,

We recently had a part change on the Clean, Deluxe, and Blackface modules. A resistor value at the input stage of the modules was causing an overload to the very front end of the module resulting in a slight crackling or distorted sound that could not be dialed out.
          The part change can be made to all the modules, but is really only audibly apparent on the cleaner type modules.

If you have some experience with changing parts its very easy, if not we'll be happy to change the part out for you. Otherwise, any local electronics repair place can change the part in a just a couple of minutes. The below part is available at Radio shack.

Find the part labeled R1 on the far left side of the board middle of the way back. Currently it's a 470 ohm resistor which should be changed to a 150 ohm resistor. This will eliminate any and all crackling you will find in the cleaner modules.

Any questions, please e-mail or contact us. Also please pass the word.

Thanks,
          RD/MAN

(800) 877-6863 ext. 5172

http://info@randallamplifiers.com

Comment

Originally posted by RD/MAN
            Guys,

We recently had a part change on the Clean, Deluxe, and Blackface modules. A resistor value at the input stage of the modules was causing an overload to the very front end of the module resulting in a slight crackling or distorted sound that could not be dialed out.
            The part change can be made to all the modules, but is really only audibly apparent on the cleaner type modules.

If you have some experience with changing parts its very easy, if not we'll be happy to change the part out for you. Otherwise, any local electronics repair place can change the part in a just a couple of minutes. The below part is available at Radio shack.

Find the part labeled R1 on the far left side of the board middle of the way back. Currently it's a 470 ohm resistor which should be changed to a 150 ohm resistor. This will eliminate any and all crackling you will find in the cleaner modules.

Thanks,
            RD/MAN

(800) 877-6863 ext. 5172

Thanks! Once again, you guys are on it! Rick
            Rick Skillman
            North American OEM Sales Manager
            Celestion LTD UK

65 Royal Albert / 65 1x12 w/ Gold
            Matchless Clubman / Matchless 4x12 w/ 65's
            Carp Moonfish 22
            Twin
            Loads of other stuff
            A medium pick
            and more...

Comment

Nice, doug. I wonder if that's what was wrong with mine. I just shot Jon an email askin' for an update .

Comment

I may be looking to swap my SL+ module for a Brown module. Hit me up if anyone is interested.
                Just because it ends in "s", it doesn't mean that you have to use a ****************ing apostrophe.

Comment

I'm putting my RM50 head up for sale...see the SPAM thread for details:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=868906

-Mike

Comment

Great info on the cleaner modules RD/man......

I've only had my RM 100 a couple of days. Here's one question:

Is it at all possible to order a metal grill and swap it out with the cloth one?

Still working on dialing this thing in. The recto is my current favorite. It does sound pretty thick and mean. Not fast attack at all like my Powerball but I bet it's going to cut very well in a band situation.

One slight issue is that two of my axes sound very poor thru the amp. One is a thin-bodied Jackson w/emg's and the other a Paul Gilbert Ibanez (PAF's I think?). My emg loaded heavy mahogany schecter sounds nice and thick thru the amp. What pickups/guitars are you using with these amps? I heard the tone zone was a good one? I play low tuned Metal fwiw. I'm running this thing thru a Diezel 4x12 and G-flex 2x12.

Does biasing make a noticeable diff in tone? I hear that preamp tube swaps don't impact the tone like other amps?

Are there plans for any new modules in the future? What amp is the Ultra based off of?

I'm full of questions ain't I?
                    Originally Posted by Light em Up

the internet is the place where fools teach fools..

Comment

Originally posted by shred-o-holic
                      Great info on the cleaner modules RD/man......

One slight issue is that two of my axes sound very poor thru the amp.

Does biasing make a noticeable diff in tone? I hear that preamp tube swaps don't impact the tone like other amps?

I'm full of questions ain't I?

I mostly play my 2001 ESP KH-2 - EMG81s, sounds awesome.

My Gibson Goth (LP Studio) sounds pretty good with stock pickups. (498T and 480R maybe???)

My JEM77FP still has that percussive vibe that I love about the Dimarzio's in it but sounds woefully thin :-/

I swapped power tubes 2 or 3 times in the RM50 but it didn't have anywhere near the magnitude of difference I expected - Probably because I was comapring with my DR which has very different bias values per mode, whereas on this amp I just biased up to the 'correct' value.

For the record I tried (in the RM50HB):

Ruby EL34 - didn't care for these (maybe mine are worn)
                      GT 6L6S - didn't try long enough
                      Mesa EL34 - sounded OK, needs more testing.
                      Mesa 6L6 - didn't try long enough
                      GT E34L - sounded pretty good (gave 'em to Mike)
                      JJ E34L - sounded good (as ever)

I need to give my 6L6s more of a chance...since I tend to prefer EL34 (again another DR learned preference.) These amps seems to be bass heavy, possibly another reason I didn't like the 6L6s on a quick listen.

Someone else has said changing pre-amp tubes to ones closer to the originals (e.g. NOS tubes) works very well...be nice to hear from that person (don't recall the nick.)

I have a very limited # of pre-amp tube types but changing V1 in the amp didn't seem to do much(Is this just an input bufffer rather than a true gain stage it would be in most amps?)

Edit....suppose I should post that I'm playing through my Mesa Recto Oversized 2x12 (wonderful cab)
                      SPAM (paypal, shipped and insured to lwr48):

N'OWT!

Originally Posted by NICE47

**************** and mother****************ing tits, I kind of just want some mother****************ing clips

Comment

Guess I'll go get a voltmeter and see whats up.......
                        Originally Posted by Light em Up

the internet is the place where fools teach fools..

Comment

Bump up for Randall love...my RM50 1x12 Combo with matching 1x12 cab just arrive with SL+module ...still waiting on the XTC module.

Very different sound with the G12t-75 speaker in it....

Have to check out some otehr modules in it.

edit...where'd all the bass go???

I mean the combo has a 3/4 back but going from the seemingly 'bass for your ass' RM100/RM50 into Mesa Recto v30 2x12 to this....is whole new ballgame.

I got a close backed 1x12 too, that brings it back somewhat.

Are the G12T-75s known for 'weak' bass output?

N'OWT!

**************** and mother****************ing tits, I kind of just want some mother****************ing clips

Comment

Originally posted by RD/MAN
                            Guys,

Hey Doug,
                            what power rating are those resistors 1/2W ? 1/4W ??

edit..having had a chance to look over the weekend...I guess they're 1/2W judging by size alone.

Thx.

Steve

N'OWT!

Comment

Wondering about an SL+ module trade for a Recto, or XTC (ya, like I'd get that). Anyone?
                              **ROCK ON MAZI BEE**
                              XT Brotherhood
                              SAVE ROCK!
                              Me on Flickr

Originally Posted by SirGarrote

You're losing teh rawk.

Originally Posted by Gainon10

I think putting an amp on less than "10" is a fear of committment.

Originally Posted by mattburnside

Liar. Women don't understand fractions.

Comment

You're looking to get an SL+ you mean? If you're interested in taking the time, we could swap for a couple weeks. We can give it back to each other or keep 'em if we like it. I've got the SL+ and Recto already and wouldn't mind trying out the XTC. Especially now that I finally got my amp back and I get to play it tomorrow at practice .

Comment

Working...
                                X