Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I picked up a Valvestate 8100

I'm honestly quite impressed with this amp.
    I make the fire but I miss the firefight.

METALMILITIA

All that stuff is evil: Ozzy, Judas Priest. There's backwards messages in that stuff that leads you to the Beast.

Did you get that from the amp classifeds on H-C?

I Saw one there and was interested.

Comment

Originally posted by 17 Tubes
      Did you get that from the amp classifeds on H-C?

I Saw one there and was interested.

no ebay

METALMILITIA

All that stuff is evil: Ozzy, Judas Priest. There's backwards messages in that stuff that leads you to the Beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrahighgain
        I'm honestly quite impressed with this amp.

expand please!

ive been thinking about getting one as a backup amp.

if possible list the cons as well

thanks alot!
        jirojan@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by JiroJan

expand please!

ive been thinking about getting one as a backup amp.

if possible list the cons as well

thanks alot!

Well this one has a couple problems which I'm discussing with the guy that sold it to me. The input jack is flakey and the reverb doesn't work, but I think I can fix those myself. In fact the guy is being a real standup fellow and is offering me compensation.

Anyway the clean sounds are quite decent and the high gain sounds are quite nice for metal. I've not really played around with it that much since I've only had it since Monday. It totally will give you Chuck Schuldiner tone with the contour knob all the way clockwise, but I run it around 2 o'clock. I guess it has a 12ax7 preamp tube, so it's a bit warmer than you might expect.

I admit that there are some things about solid state amps that I really dig, namely the attack speed and tightness. The tone is a bit cold when compared to a say a tube Marshall or Fender, or my Classic 30, but that's the compromise. I've noticed that even when dialing in a tube amp (I have a Triple XXX, Sound City 120 mark 4, 5150, and a Classic 30) when you dial for tightness, you compromise some warmth, and the reverse is true also. You can't dial in a big, warm, fat tone that leads itself to bluesy leads and expect it to have the razor sharp precision that a lot of metal demands. This amp leans very well towards metal tones. It's got midrange to spare. I don't scoop my mids. In fact, I'm probably going to use an Boss EQ to goose the lower mids somewhat. I've not really tried in-between sounds, but I would probably use my C30 for that anyway. I got this amp for punk/hardcore/metal and for that the tone and respose is surprisingly good. In fact I can't think of a better value. These things are definitly a hidden gem.

METALMILITIA

Comment

They're good sleeper amps. They seem to be ultra unrealiable, and seem to sound bad when cranked, so I don't think I would use them as a back up, or even live. Mine doesn't really even work anymore. The main thing they excel at its fast attack stuff. When you hear bands like meshuggah on choasphere, or morbid angel, thats what the 8100 is about (morbid angel used a marshall artist, but they sound alot like the 8100).

Comment

bump

METALMILITIA

Comment

Originally posted by fancynapkin
                They're good sleeper amps. They seem to be ultra unrealiable

What's up with that? You'd think a solid state amp would be indestructable.

METALMILITIA

Comment

Ah, you're the one asking about old Marshalls in the other thread.

Chuck Schuldiner is a huge influence on me. That sole reason is enough for me to have gassed for a while now for one of these heads...
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX8Rlckxuro

http://www.myspace.com/envenomationtoronto
                  http://www.myspace.com/dimensionsdivide

Comment

Originally posted by Unstrung
                    Ah, you're the one asking about old Marshalls in the other thread.

Chuck Schuldiner is a huge influence on me. That sole reason is enough for me to have gassed for a while now for one of these heads...

Both Chuck and Tommy Victor always got sounds that I thought were excellent.

METALMILITIA

Comment

have you tried the old randalls like the rg-100es???

how do they compare???
                      jirojan@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by JiroJan
                        have you tried the old randalls like the rg-100es???

how do they compare???

Never tried a Randall. I'd love to sometime though.

Dimebag used a Furman parametric and few other gadgets, so you're not just going to plug in and get his sound. RIP

METALMILITIA

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrahighgain

Never tried a Randall. I'd love to sometime though.

Dimebag used a Furman parametric and few other gadgets, so you're not just going to plug in and get his sound. RIP

i get very close with a mxr-10 in the loop. im going to try out a metal zone in front soon, as ive been told that combo makes a kickass metal tone(kirk from crowbar)
                          jirojan@yahoo.com

Comment

They're good sleeper amps. They seem to be ultra unrealiable, and seem to sound bad when cranked, so I don't think I would use them as a back up, or even live. Mine doesn't really even work anymore. The main thing they excel at its fast attack stuff. When you hear bands like meshuggah on choasphere, or morbid angel, thats what the 8100 is about (morbid angel used a marshall artist, but they sound alot like the 8100).

You must have a lemon. Mine is very reliable, I've used it at several gigs and it sounds fine thru my 1936 2x12 cranked, not thin or lifeless at all. In fact, it gets a very decent crunch if you set it up right and not just go for the "scooped metal" sound. I run mine in OD1 with slight gain & lots of volume, bass @ 3, mids @ noon, and treble dimed, contour just below noon. The clean channel with the crunch button engaged is very nice, a good punchy sound. I put a GT12AX7 Mullard in it and it woke it up a lot! Looks good as a 1/4 stack:
                            same avatar after all these years....

Comment

They're good sleeper amps. .......The main thing they excel at its fast attack stuff.

You literally took the words out of my mouth. I was going to post that almost verbatem until I read through the posts.

+1
                              Guitars,
                              Ernie Ball JP6 and JP7
                              RG 3120TW w/EMGs
                              RG 570 w/EMGs
                              Jackson Soloist and RR1 w/EMG
                              Martin D28
                              Koumaraska Classical

Amps,
                              VHT Pittbull Ultralead
                              Randall Iso cab and Marshall 1960
                              Mesa DC3 Combo