Guitar Worlds Top 10 Metal Amps List ....

Savo

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Freak Guitar

Guitar World's Top 10 Amp Companies Who Paid Us The Most Money To Be On This List.

LMAO!!!! Seriously! That list is a COMPLETE joke!

Look at all the big touring metal bands these days - 80% of them use 5150s. And no mention of the 5150???? Horse{censored}. I don't claim it's the greatest metal amp, but dang, I mean you HAVE to at least RECOGNIZE IT!!!

Diezel Herbert, Engl Powerball, Laney VH100r, nowhere in sight?

Marshall MF350??? That's quite hilarious seeing as how I've NEVER seen a touring metal band use one. :rolleyes:

• Members

I don't play old school metal so there's no JCM 800 on top of my list. I did own 3 of them though because they did rock well.

1. Mesa Dual Rectifier - revolutionized heavy music in the 90s and continues to do so. When you think of modern metal, the Rectifier is the first sound many recognize.

2. Peavey 5150. A very distinct, and pleasing voicing that crosses the dryness and punch of a Marshall and the compression of a Mesa. The sound of Euro Metal. Very afforable and respected in the metal community. If you want gain and only gain, you can't go wrong with the 5150. Not my fav amp but it is more significant than most.

3. Mesa IIC+ The first true High gain amp of the 80s. Set the thrash sound.

4. Marshall JCM 800. By far the least gain of the amps in the list. But it made up for its punch. Whether stock or hotrodded, was the hair metal stack of the 80s. The shredder's dream.

5. Soldano SLO. The first true boutique high gain amp. Came out a few years too late and kind of got lost in the Marshall / Mesa mix with metalheads. Mostly used by rock players. Most famous for that in-between era of Hair metal and Grunge of the early 90s.

6. Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb. Again, the most common amp of the early 90s Hair Metal - Grunge era. Defined the sound of early 90s punk, which eventually filtered down into today's youth Rap/rock, Nu-metal.

7. Engl Powerball. Devastating amp that will eventually climb the charts.

8. Bogner Uberschall. The choice of heavy bands not using the Rectifier. Boosted JCM 800 sound with the sag of the Rectifier. Unique metal tone.

9. VHT Pittbull Ultra Lead. My overall favorite amp. Very dry and thunderous sound. Unique to the high gain world. No amp does what the UL does. Claim to fame is Slipknot. Wished more people used it.

10. Marshall JCM 2000 DSL. Fav amongst garage and club bands. Came out just when teenagers seeking jobs boomed in North America. Possibly the most common tube head bought by under 20 individuals seeking a hard rock/metal sound.

• Members

originally posted by shredhead666

Marshall MF350??? That's quite hilarious seeing as how I've NEVER seen a touring metal band use one.

One of the guitarists in Shadows Fall used one live before he switched to Kranks. That doesn't mean it deserves to be on the list at all though. I mean really guys, the Mode Four is sooooo much better than an Engl Powerball or a Dizel VH-4. :p:D

• Members

I can understand why the ENGL's and Diezel's didn't make the list since other than on this forum they aren't all that well known and almost impossible to find is stores in the US (at least the one's I have been to). I also agree that the 5150 should be on the list and should be replacing the mode four. Other than the guys in the Marshall add for the amp I haven't really seen anyone using them. The rest of the list looks pretty good to me though.

• Members

marshall jcm's. wow. the best marshall heads are modded. that should knock them off the list right there.

who is arguing the triple rec vs the dual rec? are you really that dumb? somebody at mesa is laughing at you right now.

bogner is nice. maybe not #3 but where's the extasy?

randall what? are they serious. the only randall worth an honorable mentionis the century head.

vht pitbull is up there but if you include boutique stuff it's probably not on the top 10.

vs8100. i had 2 of them. i like them. but top 10 amps? not in this lifetime.

wtf is a line 6 product doing on any top 10 list other than 'top 10 pieces of {censored}'.

marshall mf350?

mesa road king... i agree with whoever made the mark series comments. plus the road king is so similar to the recto's. what about the f50?

the xxx should be higher up. this amp is better than almost every other amp on this list hands down. and it spanks the 5150 for those who felt that should replace this. the 5150 is the biggest bandwagon amp since the jcm800! with the engl's, diezel's, soldano's, etc added the 5150 still doesn't make the list, imo.

• Members

The list should have been "the top 10 proven" metal amps. I mean amps that are proven to be metal recording standards.

Not in any particular order...

Peavey 5150/5150 II

Boogie Mark series and Rectifier series

Marshall 2203 and 2000 series(DSL,TSL), VS100RH(8100 series)

VHT UL

Bogner Uber.

etc.

These amps are proven metal workhorses.

Up and comers....

ENGL PB, FB, SE

Framus Cobra, Dragon

Randal XL series amps(V-max, Cyclone, etc.)

Peavey JSX

etc.

These amps are just now becoming standards.

Seriously, If you are going to make such a dorky list, the amps should have to be proven industry standards. Proven by hundreds/thousands of recordings. Proven by a rabid consumer/artist following. Just proven, period.

• Members

Originally posted by radonballoon

the xxx should be higher up. this amp is better than almost every other amp on this list hands down. and it spanks the 5150 for those who felt that should replace this. the 5150 is the biggest bandwagon amp since the jcm800! with the engl's, diezel's, soldano's, etc added the 5150 still doesn't make the list, imo.

The XXX sounds like it wants to be a Recto. The 5150 was original sounding when it came out and I would take a 5150 over a XXX anyday.

See if you agree with my list. It's not which amps have the most gain, or who likes what, but how they've contributed to the metal scene and originality.

Archived