Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guitar Worlds Top 10 Metal Amps List ....

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is only my OPINION, as to the "popularity", and how many bands in a metal setting actually use these...

1. 5150
    2. Marshall DSL
    3. Dual Rectifier/Triple
    4. Triple XXX
    5. JCM800 boosted/modded
    7. Engl
    8. Laney GH50L/100L/VH100R
    9. Diezel
    10. Bogner

Comment

Originally posted by Savo
      Here's GW's Top 10 Metal Amps list:

1. JCM800 2203
      2. Mesa Triple Recto
      3. Bogner

Comment

Originally posted by wanky

Heres my Metal amp ranking and my 2 tops aren't on the GW's list.

1. Marshall DSL100/DSL50
        2. Peavey 5150/5150 II
        3. Crate BV120/BV150/BV300
        4. Marshall TSL60/TSL100(DSLs are more metal)
        5. Bogner

Comment

My Ampeg Vh-140c is the best I have heard for metal. Super tight metal voicing, no pedals required and extremely LOUD!!

Comment

Originally posted by Savo
            Here's GW's Top 10 Metal Amps list:

1. JCM800 2203
            2. Mesa Triple Recto
            3. Bogner
            "Lol, how many amps are you gonna blow through before you collapse in a pool of your own semen?" - thinkpad20

"Mark my words...I will NOT sell my next Cobra. Put this in your sig and smoke it.....
            " - Dimebag11, 14 Dec 2007

Awesome pedals from an old high school bud:
            http://www.robertkeeley.com/

My other high school bud's band:
            http://www.myspace.com/yearofthemoth

Comment

Originally posted by Romanian Reaper
              Randall Warhead? Do people still play this?

Scott Ian did at one time, don't know if he still does. I don't know why, his tone on their newest CD with all the re-recorded oldies is kinda ****************ty, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by radonballoon
                marshall jcm's. wow. the best marshall heads are modded. that should knock them off the list right there.

Only if you are talking about the 800. There are other newer marshalls I would rather have IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Hegmatronicon
                  Ok. Ive played a few JCM800's. Why are they considered a metal amp????
                  They have very very little gain really. The 900's are a higher gain amp....

Im not saying 800's arent great...they sound very very very nice...but in order to be "metal" they have to be boosted/modded. right?
                  Wouldn't this kinda knock them off the list?

I've never heard anybody use a jcm800 for anything remotely heavy without a boost/OD pedal. I guess that kinda just bugs me when they leave out the 5150.
                  Maybe it shoulda been 1. BOOSTED JCM800. That would be a-ok

*thumbsup* I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky101
                    My Ampeg Vh-140c is the best I have heard for metal. Super tight metal voicing, no pedals required and extremely LOUD!!

here, here brother. for those people that made their own "metal" list if you didn't add this amp you should kill yourselves. this is a death metal amp that definitly eats a 8100, triple rectifier, 5150, and most other amps for breakfast. only amps better would be most engls and possibly bogners. but for the price its unbeatable.
                    MAIN GEAR:
                    esp h-301 (dimarzio x2n pickups)
                    ampeg vh-140c head
                    behringer 400 watt 4x12 cab
                    boss ns-2 noise gate

MY BAND, THE MISERY OF EDEN:
                    www.myspace.com/thebrutalmoe
                    http://server5.hxcmp3.com/bands/38671/

Comment

Originally posted by brutalmoe420

here, here brother. for those people that made their own "metal" list if you didn't add this amp you should kill yourselves. this is a death metal amp that definitly eats a 8100, triple rectifier, 5150, and most other amps for breakfast. only amps better would be most engls and possibly bogners. but for the price its unbeatable.
                      Good transactions: tolling bells, leod_74, phatgirl, Megadeth6784, duderanimous, JoshuaTSP, mttmg, Rocked Star, New Builder, Zemmy, Brutal Truth, Incarta, needleTOink, outtahear, guitar_dude45, kidgloves, Chad-ro, Ibenhad,TruSlice, Squatandgobble, DoubleBarrel

Comment

..and who the hell is using Road Kings? I mean, great amp, but I've NEVER seen a metal or hard rock band with one?!?!?

A 5150 should have been in there for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by napalmshower05

Scott Ian did at one time, don't know if he still does. I don't know why, his tone on their newest CD with all the re-recorded oldies is kinda ****************ty, IMO.

I think Scott Ian is playing a Randall Cyclone now? Is that right? It was one of the newer Randall amps. I know that his tone is awesome on the new Anthrax live DVD. I should look on there and see if it is in the background.
                          "Lol, how many amps are you gonna blow through before you collapse in a pool of your own semen?" - thinkpad20

"Mark my words...I will NOT sell my next Cobra. Put this in your sig and smoke it.....
                          " - Dimebag11, 14 Dec 2007

Awesome pedals from an old high school bud:
                          http://www.robertkeeley.com/

My other high school bud's band:
                          http://www.myspace.com/yearofthemoth

Comment

Originally posted by Pigsinzen

Only if you are talking about the 800. There are other newer marshalls I would rather have IMHO.

800s, especially the early ones, are built like tanks, sound godlike on their own (hint, crank the master), and take to pedals like cancer to the prostate (to quote Phantom Limb from The Venture Brothers).

Comment

i know at one point zakk wylde recorded a lot of stuff with a straight stock jcm800 into a greenback loaded 4x12, and if his tone back in the day wasn't metal then i don't know what is
                              Framus Cobra, Mesa Mark III, VHT Deliverance, Ampeg SS150
                              Splawn OS 2x12 & two 4x12's

Comment

I don't take GW mag serious anyways. It's all about mainstream **************** in that mag. It's not even a mag that is helpful in anyway. but to steer young guitarists in the wrong direction. **************** GW and may all the employes die a horrible death.
                                "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

!!GEAR!!

FJA modded 5150
                                Splawn 4x12 cab X-P V-30's & GT-75's
                                Gibson Gothic V with single EMG-81
                                Ibanez RG421 with EMG-81/60
                                Charvel M1 with single EMG-81

Comment

• Working...
                                  X