Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guitar Worlds Top 10 Metal Amps List ....

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dude does that list suck...
    Use your pinky!

www.myspace.com/themassacrista

Comment

Originally posted by Savo
      Here's GW's Top 10 Metal Amps list:
      4. Randall Warhead

Anybody know for sure if Dime ever ACTUALLY used one in the studio? Replace this with a Randall RG

8. Marshall MF-350
      6. Marshall VS8100

OK, aren't these sort of the same basic amp? AND WTF has recorded with a MF-350? Remove one and insert 5150

2. Mesa Triple Recto
      9. Mesa Road King

The two/three channel/4 channell rectos are all different I guess
      Replace one with Mesa Mark II/III/IV... they defined the metal scene.
      Splawn Competition
      Mesa Mark III, Mark IV Rectoverb
      ENGL Savage 120,
      VHT CL50 w/EQ
      Peavey Triple XXX, 6505+, Voodoo modded 5150 II
      Marshall '78 JMP 2204
      Ampeg VH140c, VT60
      Carvin MTS head
      Metaltronix M1000

Old 2002 clips:http://www.myspace.com/widgetninja

Comment

Originally posted by shredhead666

LMAO!!!! Seriously! That list is a COMPLETE joke!

That MAGAZINE is a complete joke.

Pretty much any random people here could start a magazine called something like "Actually About Guitar Magazine" and it would 100,000 times better than that POS even if it was 5 pages long.

My favorite "list" those magazines do are all the "top 100 guitar players" or whatever, and there's always guys like Jack White and Kurt Cobain almost at the tip top.

Comment

randall warhead........
          ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!
          For the dictionary guys,once again...**************** OFF!!!!!! i'm Greek...

http://www.seducetheheaven.com

Comment

The Mode Four? They have got to be kidding.

+1 for the 5150.
            How could they not recognise such an important amp in the sound of Scandinavian metal???

Road King?? WTF? When was that a metal amp?

No Powerball, Diezel, Framus?!
            Elven

Comment

Originally posted by OneArmedScissors

That MAGAZINE is a complete joke.

Pretty much any random people here could start a magazine called something like "Actually About Guitar Magazine" and it would 100,000 times better than that POS even if it was 5 pages long.

My favorite "list" those magazines do are all the "top 100 guitar players" or whatever, and there's always guys like Jack White and Kurt Cobain almost at the tip top.

The one with the top 10 metal amps is the same one that has the 100 greatest metal guitarists of all time. It has Tomy Iommi as #1. I was just looking at that issue the other day(Holy Wars...tab). GW mags are like 190 pages and about 150 or so are advertisements.

Comment

Cochise, every guitar magazine has a top 100 players or something very similar at least once a year.

That just makes it even funnier that there was ANOTHER ONE in the very same issue as the amp list hehe.

If they were serious and actually knew anything, they wouldn't be ranking stuff and people in the first place.

Comment

HA! That list is ****************ing rediculous.. Guitar World don't know metal.. They just do pieces on it because it sells mags to teenage boys learning to play guitar.

My top 10 Metal Amp List

1 Marshall JCM 800
                  2 Peavey 5150
                  3 Mesa mkIIC+
                  4 Diezel VH4
                  5 Bogner Uberschall
                  6 Framus Cobra
                  7 Engl Powerball
                  8 Mesa Dual recto
                  9 Soldano SLO
                  10 Laney VH100r
                  Disturbing... Yet strangely arousing.

Comment

Originally posted by LesPaul59

Bogner does not advertise or pay anybody to make it on any list.

Yes but it is a mix of that and actual amps that were probably voted for..
                    Theres no way most people think this would be here:

8. Marshall MF-350

Not if they value their sanity.. Thats definitely a marketing ploy..Some mag will probably have the Fender Metalhead in the same spot a year from now!!!

And yes, where the **************** are the Mesa Mark series?!!! THats a classic sound all its own!!!

And yes the 5150 not on there? Its the standard sound for Scandavian Metal!!!
                    Gear used:

Jackson King V Professional Standard (SD Distortion, SD JAZZ), Jackson Dinky Reverse (Dimarzio Evolution, Dimarzio Air Norton), Peavey Destiny Custom (Duncan Distortion Bridge, rest stock), Ibanez RG 470 with Air Norton and Steve's Special, Mesa Mark III (M/) Red Stripe Rackmount head, 5150 with 5150 Cabinent, Tc Electronics G Major, Cry Baby Wah. Ibanez Nylon Acoustic.

Comment

Originally posted by Freak Guitar
                      Guitar World's Top 10 Amp Companies Who Paid Us The Most Money To Be On This List.

+1

Comment

Originally posted by Potex
                        HA! That list is ****************ing rediculous.. Guitar World don't know metal.. They just do pieces on it because it sells mags to teenage boys learning to play guitar.

My top 10 Metal Amp List

1 Marshall JCM 800
                        2 Peavey 5150
                        3 Mesa mkIIC+
                        4 Diezel VH4
                        5 Bogner Uberschall
                        6 Framus Cobra
                        7 Engl Powerball
                        8 Mesa Dual recto
                        9 Soldano SLO
                        10 Laney VH100r

My 'metal amp' list would be pretty close to this.

Comment

Ok. Ive played a few JCM800's. Why are they considered a metal amp????
                          They have very very little gain really. The 900's are a higher gain amp....

Im not saying 800's arent great...they sound very very very nice...but in order to be "metal" they have to be boosted/modded. right?
                          Wouldn't this kinda knock them off the list?

I've never heard anybody use a jcm800 for anything remotely heavy without a boost/OD pedal. I guess that kinda just bugs me when they leave out the 5150.
                          Maybe it shoulda been 1. BOOSTED JCM800. That would be a-ok
                          Life is ours. We live it our way.

Originally Posted by Rada

... I mean, I wouldn't mind getting on all fours every once in a while if it meant my tuition and rent was taken care of

Comment

My 3 fave metal amps:

1. Savage 120

For it's cool charachter, great attack, more then enough gain and the versatility. Adding the Engl midi pedal to this amp will probably rule.

2. Marshall Valvestate

A cheap! amp very good for metal. At higher wolumes this is a beast recorded. Used by many known bands. And! the clean channel is great on this amp!. If i recommend an amp to a first time buyer i'd say a Valvestate for metal.

3. Peavey Ultra +

This amp is the coolest amp i have owned cosmestic with the colur shifting logo. Sounds great with new tubes and an Eq in the loop. Great vintage feeling metal sounding.
                            Engl Savage 120
                            Engl 4x12 with Celestion V60's
                            EH Power tubes
                            JJ preamp tubes from Bob
                            Planet Waves Cabels
                            Tarlabs speaker cabels

Boss BR-864
                            Pod XT
                            V-amp 2

Black Jackson Death Angel custom:
                            Miracle Man bridge pickup
                            D'alnico neck pickup

Black Jackson RR1 USA:
                            Nailbomb bridge pickup
                            Bill Lawrence L500 neck
                            Framous strings 010-046

----------------------------------
                            Both Dimarzio Megadrive pickup for sale! pm me!

Comment

Originally posted by Hegmatronicon
                              Ok. Ive played a few JCM800's. Why are they considered a metal amp????
                              They have very very little gain really. The 900's are a higher gain amp....

Im not saying 800's arent great...they sound very very very nice...but in order to be "metal" they have to be boosted/modded. right?
                              Wouldn't this kinda knock them off the list?

I've never heard anybody use a jcm800 for anything remotely heavy without a boost/OD pedal. I guess that kinda just bugs me when they leave out the 5150.

The JCM 800 does of course need a boost but the fact that it has been and still is used by countless metal bands over the years makes it a legend.
                              Disturbing... Yet strangely arousing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hegmatronicon

Many of the "signature" 5150 tones are in fact pedal boosted. Many bands record the rectifier with a boost pedal for solos. Not a good argument.

The ModeFour - I dunno. The valvestate series was also considered a cheap piece of **************** when I had my 8080 about 10 years ago, and now everyone wants one for recording. Maybe the ModeFour has also secretly found a place in recording studios - no-one wants to admit to using one right now, but it does something special.

The HD147 in that list... hrm. I play one, and I think it's a fantastic amp, but can it really be on the list when it's mostly modelling the other amps on the list? (Actually, I mostly use the Line6 models on mine, that's where I found "my" sound, but still).
                                Marshall 2466 Vintage Modern.
                                Cabs: Mesa/Boogie Vertical 2x12 (half-back)
                                Guitars: Ibanez UV777PBK, Ibanez K7 (with BKP Painkillers), Shecter 006 Deluxe, Jackson Kelly Standard, Ibanez SRX705, Takamine Classical, Taylor Acoustic.

Comment

Working...
                                X