Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guitar Worlds Top 10 Metal Amps List ....

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

originally posted by shredhead666
    Marshall MF350??? That's quite hilarious seeing as how I've NEVER seen a touring metal band use one.

One of the guitarists in Shadows Fall used one live before he switched to Kranks. That doesn't mean it deserves to be on the list at all though. I mean really guys, the Mode Four is sooooo much better than an Engl Powerball or a Dizel VH-4.

Comment

What a joke. No 5150. The Guitar World editors never cease to show how completely tonedeaf they are.

-Joe
      Main Rig:
      LTD EC1000
      Peavey 6505+
      Mesa/Boogie Recto 2x12 with V30's
      TC Nova System

FOR SALE:
      Spools of Canare GS-6 - The most transparent cable I've come across. Click for details.
      M-Audio Audiophile 2496 Sound Card

Good transactions with Digital Jams, Dimebag11, Greazygeo, ENdtime, Fagmotron 3000, thenakedarab, TheAmazingBlob, ZOMBIELAND, mike59271, LoopQuantum.

Comment

Originally posted by Megadeth7684
        I mean really guys, the Mode Four is sooooo much better than an Engl Powerball or a Dizel VH-4.

*gives him some water*

This might help you extinguish the flames.

-Fender Vintage 60's Original Tele
        -Fender American Deluxe Tele
        -Caparison TAT
        -Ibanez RG1550
        -Ibanez PGM301
        -Ibanez JEM7VWH
        -Peavey 5150
        -Mesa Boogie 4x12
        -POD XT Pro

Comment

no soldano SLO? yet they had room for a mode 4

no 5150? but a damn XXX

no mesa mark series? but a roadking

no engl? but a randall warhead

HD147, VS8100...they're not bad amps but could EASILY be replaced on this list
          Framus Cobra, Mesa Mark III, VHT Deliverance, Ampeg SS150
          Splawn OS 2x12 & two 4x12's

Comment

Originally posted by LesPaul59

Bogner does not advertise or pay anybody to make it on any list.

Bogner doesn't need to!!
            www.fortinamps.com

Comment

I can understand why the ENGL's and Diezel's didn't make the list since other than on this forum they aren't all that well known and almost impossible to find is stores in the US (at least the one's I have been to). I also agree that the 5150 should be on the list and should be replacing the mode four. Other than the guys in the Marshall add for the amp I haven't really seen anyone using them. The rest of the list looks pretty good to me though.
              my clips: www.soundclick.com/angrygodsoftheradio-JSXJCM800

My fingers, PRS and Taylor guitars, Budda, Fryette and Orange amps, Genz Benz cabs, Line6 effects and wireless, various dirt and fuzz boxes.

Comment

marshall jcm's. wow. the best marshall heads are modded. that should knock them off the list right there.

who is arguing the triple rec vs the dual rec? are you really that dumb? somebody at mesa is laughing at you right now.

bogner is nice. maybe not #3 but where's the extasy?

randall what? are they serious. the only randall worth an honorable mentionis the century head.

vht pitbull is up there but if you include boutique stuff it's probably not on the top 10.

vs8100. i had 2 of them. i like them. but top 10 amps? not in this lifetime.

wtf is a line 6 product doing on any top 10 list other than 'top 10 pieces of ****************'.

marshall mf350?

mesa road king... i agree with whoever made the mark series comments. plus the road king is so similar to the recto's. what about the f50?

the xxx should be higher up. this amp is better than almost every other amp on this list hands down. and it spanks the 5150 for those who felt that should replace this. the 5150 is the biggest bandwagon amp since the jcm800! with the engl's, diezel's, soldano's, etc added the 5150 still doesn't make the list, imo.
                epiphone dot w/ epi hardshell - trades???
                boss super overdrive - $35 shipped
                regal duolian reso, plain headstock, extra biscuit - trades???

Comment

Hmm . . . I'd almost forgotten why I un-subscribed to Guitar World. That list of amps is a ****************ing joke.
                  And by the way I used to own a dumble it was a decent amp but I think Two Rock did a better job of getting the dumble tone so I sold it. - the "great" GREATPHARO

I agree more money doesn't mean better, but usually it does - textdivine

Comment

The list should have been "the top 10 proven" metal amps. I mean amps that are proven to be metal recording standards.

Not in any particular order...

Peavey 5150/5150 II
                    Boogie Mark series and Rectifier series
                    Marshall 2203 and 2000 series(DSL,TSL), VS100RH(8100 series)
                    VHT UL
                    Bogner Uber.
                    etc.

These amps are proven metal workhorses.

Up and comers....

ENGL PB, FB, SE
                    Framus Cobra, Dragon
                    Randal XL series amps(V-max, Cyclone, etc.)
                    Peavey JSX
                    etc.

These amps are just now becoming standards.

Seriously, If you are going to make such a dorky list, the amps should have to be proven industry standards. Proven by hundreds/thousands of recordings. Proven by a rabid consumer/artist following. Just proven, period.
                    Great transactions: Kung-Fool (Tom/traded amps), Major Third (Phil/bought from), Mr. Brady (Rob/sold to), Pwn3d (Nick/sold to), shreder75 (Matt/bought from), mhenson42 (Matt/bought from), Oblivion DC (Michael/bought from), Dropped_2_C (Scott/traded tubes), MCon (Matt/bought from), DarkCide (Talal/traded amps), Mctallica1 (Tony/bought from/traded), nyck (Nick/bought from), zao(Tom/bought from), guitup (Dennis/sold to), mparsons(Matt/sold to), gripside80 (Brian/sold to), LionHeaRT07 (Josh/sold to)

Comment

Originally posted by radonballoon

the xxx should be higher up. this amp is better than almost every other amp on this list hands down. and it spanks the 5150 for those who felt that should replace this. the 5150 is the biggest bandwagon amp since the jcm800! with the engl's, diezel's, soldano's, etc added the 5150 still doesn't make the list, imo.

The XXX sounds like it wants to be a Recto. The 5150 was original sounding when it came out and I would take a 5150 over a XXX anyday.

See if you agree with my list. It's not which amps have the most gain, or who likes what, but how they've contributed to the metal scene and originality.
                      2003 Gibson Les Paul Standard HxH Goldtop Southpaw
                      1995 Mesa Dual Rectifier Solo Head
                      Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive = Used with the Mesa for the secret Powderglass tone.
                      Marshall JCM 900 1960B 4x12

Good Transactions with: Bikehorn, Mr. Brady

Comment

Originally posted by radonballoon
                        marshall jcm's. wow. the best marshall heads are modded. that should knock them off the list right there.

who is arguing the triple rec vs the dual rec? are you really that dumb? somebody at mesa is laughing at you right now.

bogner is nice. maybe not #3 but where's the extasy?

randall what? are they serious. the only randall worth an honorable mentionis the century head.

vht pitbull is up there but if you include boutique stuff it's probably not on the top 10.

vs8100. i had 2 of them. i like them. but top 10 amps? not in this lifetime.

wtf is a line 6 product doing on any top 10 list other than 'top 10 pieces of ****************'.

marshall mf350?

mesa road king... i agree with whoever made the mark series comments. plus the road king is so similar to the recto's. what about the f50?

I'm not usually this outspoken but you're a dumbass. You're obviously biased towards Mesa. The XTC may be a nice amp, but I have never heard a metal tone from one. The closest tone is probably Steve Vai's "Bad Horsie" and I wouldn't consider that anywhere near a metal tone. Granted you might not like the 5150 but you can't deny the fact that a large number of metal bands use them.
                        And by the way I used to own a dumble it was a decent amp but I think Two Rock did a better job of getting the dumble tone so I sold it. - the "great" GREATPHARO

I agree more money doesn't mean better, but usually it does - textdivine

Comment

Wasn`t the issue from 2004?
                          The 5150 obviously wasn`t 6505 then, amongst other things. The Engl`s weren`t that recognized in the US either at that time. The HC folks had heard about it, but not many else. and so on..
                          Knut E

I used to be called "ke2" around these parts

Some ridiculous videos
                          http://home.online.no/~knut-eev/stuff/

Comment

radonballoon- are you serious with that comment about the 5150 being a bandwagon amp and not deserving the top 10 list honors?

Are you serious?

Your comment and opinion of the 5150 series is just enough personal information about you, for me to instantly discount anything you have to say.

The 5150 series is an industry standard for one reason. They are killer amps. You will find very few players on this board that will not give the 5150`s the respect they deserve. They are some of the best "metal" amps ever created. The 5150/II has one of the most recognizable, use-able and brutal voices in the high gain amp market. They may not be anywhere near perfect, but are better than many more expensive heads.

As far as being a "bandwagon" amp...No **************** dumbass. When an amp is that good at what it does for such a reasonable price, people are going to want to own and play through one. Me included.
                            Great transactions: Kung-Fool (Tom/traded amps), Major Third (Phil/bought from), Mr. Brady (Rob/sold to), Pwn3d (Nick/sold to), shreder75 (Matt/bought from), mhenson42 (Matt/bought from), Oblivion DC (Michael/bought from), Dropped_2_C (Scott/traded tubes), MCon (Matt/bought from), DarkCide (Talal/traded amps), Mctallica1 (Tony/bought from/traded), nyck (Nick/bought from), zao(Tom/bought from), guitup (Dennis/sold to), mparsons(Matt/sold to), gripside80 (Brian/sold to), LionHeaRT07 (Josh/sold to)

Comment

No Peavey Supreme 160? The injustice of that oversight is staggering.

Comment

Errrrr.... haven't we already done this list before and deduced that it was complete ****************?!!?! Especially being a guitar rag like Guitar World and all, they sell thier endorsements towards gear to the highest bidder/paying manufacturers to promote their products, c'mon guys I thought most of us knew this already...

Originally posted by Save The Pine Weasel
                                No Peavey Supreme 160? The injustice of that oversight is staggering.

Haha indeed, a grave injustice has been done, why that amp brings over 1k now!
                                The Gibson M-III
                                ....my weapon of choice for sonic destruction.

My live rig...stereo rig...and pics of mah gear!

Comment

Working...
                                X