Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guitar Worlds Top 10 Metal Amps List ....

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Worlds Top 10 Metal Amps List ....

Here's GW's Top 10 Metal Amps list:

1. JCM800 2203
    2. Mesa Triple Recto
    3. Bogner
    Amps:

Axe-Fx
    Mesa Boogie 2Ch Dual Rectifier
    Peavey 5150
    ENGL Blackmore
    ENGL Pro V30 Cab
    Marshall DSL 100
    JCM900 1960A Cab

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul R8
    Gibson Gothic Explorer (EMGs)
    Jackson RRMT
    Edwards Les Paul Custom - EMG 81 / 85
    Schecter C-1 SD Distortion / Jazz

My review....

1. JCM800 2203 > Mesa JCM900
    2. Mesa Triple Recto > Dual Recto (What the **************** are they talking about?
    3. Bogner

Comment

No 5150???

C'mon Guitar World, the 5150 is one of the best, most popular metal amps ever made.

Comment

Guitar World's Top 10 Amp Companies Who Paid Us The Most Money To Be On This List.
        -Fender Vintage 60's Original Tele
        -Fender American Deluxe Tele
        -Caparison TAT
        -Ibanez RG1550
        -Ibanez PGM301
        -Ibanez JEM7VWH
        -Peavey 5150
        -Mesa Boogie 4x12
        -POD XT Pro

Comment

Where's Engl? Oh wait, they don't advertise in GW.

Comment

Originally posted by Freak Guitar
            Guitar World's Top 10 Amp Companies Who Paid Us The Most Money To Be On This List.

LMAO!!!! Seriously! That list is a COMPLETE joke!

Look at all the big touring metal bands these days - 80% of them use 5150s. And no mention of the 5150???? Horse****************. I don't claim it's the greatest metal amp, but dang, I mean you HAVE to at least RECOGNIZE IT!!!

Diezel Herbert, Engl Powerball, Laney VH100r, nowhere in sight?

Marshall MF350??? That's quite hilarious seeing as how I've NEVER seen a touring metal band use one.
            Originally posted by JamesPeters

Oh yeah, he's [Jesus] got a great sense of humor. That's how we met. He was lurking HC and saw someone pwn you, and he emailed me. He was all "Dude, check this!" and I was all "LOL!1!!" and he was all "roXors!!!1!!!one!!"

Comment

Originally posted by cdstrings
              Where's Engl? Oh wait, they don't advertise in GW.

ENGL is too cool for that list anyways.
              http://facebook.com/couturephotos

Comment

At least they were blatant enough to put the Krankenstein on the list...haha

Comment

Any engl would definately fit at the extreme top of the list =)

Comment

Sweet, XXX made the list! I have 2 so now i'm super cool!

And yeah i can't understand the lack of 5150 other than its no longer made 6505 here we come!

Comment

I don't play old school metal so there's no JCM 800 on top of my list. I did own 3 of them though because they did rock well.

1. Mesa Dual Rectifier - revolutionized heavy music in the 90s and continues to do so. When you think of modern metal, the Rectifier is the first sound many recognize.

2. Peavey 5150. A very distinct, and pleasing voicing that crosses the dryness and punch of a Marshall and the compression of a Mesa. The sound of Euro Metal. Very afforable and respected in the metal community. If you want gain and only gain, you can't go wrong with the 5150. Not my fav amp but it is more significant than most.

3. Mesa IIC+ The first true High gain amp of the 80s. Set the thrash sound.

4. Marshall JCM 800. By far the least gain of the amps in the list. But it made up for its punch. Whether stock or hotrodded, was the hair metal stack of the 80s. The shredder's dream.

5. Soldano SLO. The first true boutique high gain amp. Came out a few years too late and kind of got lost in the Marshall / Mesa mix with metalheads. Mostly used by rock players. Most famous for that in-between era of Hair metal and Grunge of the early 90s.

6. Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb. Again, the most common amp of the early 90s Hair Metal - Grunge era. Defined the sound of early 90s punk, which eventually filtered down into today's youth Rap/rock, Nu-metal.

7. Engl Powerball. Devastating amp that will eventually climb the charts.

8. Bogner Uberschall. The choice of heavy bands not using the Rectifier. Boosted JCM 800 sound with the sag of the Rectifier. Unique metal tone.

9. VHT Pittbull Ultra Lead. My overall favorite amp. Very dry and thunderous sound. Unique to the high gain world. No amp does what the UL does. Claim to fame is Slipknot. Wished more people used it.

10. Marshall JCM 2000 DSL. Fav amongst garage and club bands. Came out just when teenagers seeking jobs boomed in North America. Possibly the most common tube head bought by under 20 individuals seeking a hard rock/metal sound.

2003 Gibson Les Paul Standard HxH Goldtop Southpaw
                      1995 Mesa Dual Rectifier Solo Head
                      Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive = Used with the Mesa for the secret Powderglass tone.
                      Marshall JCM 900 1960B 4x12

Good Transactions with: Bikehorn, Mr. Brady

Comment

Originally posted by Freak Guitar

Bogner does not advertise or pay anybody to make it on any list.

Comment

No Engl? No Framus? No Diezel? No Rivera?

Comment

Originally posted by LesPaul59

Bogner does not advertise or pay anybody to make it on any list.

hey it was a joke cool thanks bye

-Fender Vintage 60's Original Tele
                            -Fender American Deluxe Tele
                            -Caparison TAT
                            -Ibanez RG1550
                            -Ibanez PGM301
                            -Ibanez JEM7VWH
                            -Peavey 5150
                            -Mesa Boogie 4x12
                            -POD XT Pro

Comment

No Fender Metalhead?