Saw SOAD and Mars Volta last night

GregMan

• Members

OK, first off Mars Volta. Am I missing something here ? Frontman doing Mick Jagger meets James Brown stage moves but sounds like a tortured chick. Every song turned into a really bad out-of-tune Carlos Santana influenced guitar solo. Yech - was painful to see/hear. Orange amps and cabs and some of the lead sounds were pretty good. But the playing was NOT.

SOAD - Not bad but not great. Serge looked and acted like a deer in the headlights for at least the first half. Daron's sound was a bit grating at first but got better over time (eq'ing ? warmer tubes ? My ears ? dunno). Marshall cabs but couldn't make out amps. looked like 2 2x12's were mic'd as well on top of the Marshall's (grey - couldn't see any markings). Played white SG 90% of the concert and a red SG for the rest.

All in all a B- or C+ ....

• Members

I saw Mars Volta open for A Perfect Circle a while back.

Now I had heard some Mars Volta and was sort of into it, but hearing them play live....oh boy, that was bad. That singer certainly has some energy, but that's pretty much it. Really, really irritating set - couldn't wait for them to finish. But go figure, I kinda like their albums. :confused:

• Members

I'm kinda the opposite of you guys, I had heard some recorded mars volta stuff and wasn't impressed, and kept hoping they'd be another at the drive in, but I got a copy of their live dvd and it blew me away... it was just a wonderfully original, interesting, and intense set. maybe they're really playing off on this tour but the live disc I have I love.

• Members

I have a live video clip of The Mars Volta and I can see how they wouldn't be very good in concert. The singer uses energy he should be using to hit the notes to thrash around instead, and the guitar player can't play leads. I love their first album, though, and there are some great things on the second album even though it's not so great overall.

• Members
Originally posted by mightyjoeyoungxnj

I agree man. I cannot say that they don't have talent, they just don't do it for me. Second coming of Led Zeppelin, definitely not. Some catchy tunes, sure.

-Joe

ah led zep, the 2nd most over rated band ;)

but I was having a friend listen to mars volta (we are gonna see this show in october, and wanted to prep him on the opener) so he listens to two songs and asks
"these guys are opening for SOAD?.... they are gonna get booed off the stage"
i couldnt help but laugh but at the same time realize that I wouldnt be suprised if it happened. I think its just the cool thing to do to like mars volta. I loved their first cd but this one blows some serious ass.

• Members

I was at the same show as you. Weird. Anyway, I think Mars Volta was horribly mixed at the soundboard and the recordings at least sound a million times better. I'm not typically a fan of castrati-type vocals but I think Cedric Zavala does it very well. It's like a cross between Robert Plant and Bjork, if I dare say it.

edit: as far being overrated, the music is obviously not for everyone. The people that like it tend to love it, and the people that dislike it tend to hate it. That's just the way music is. Surprise!

• Members

Originally posted by GregMan

you were at the Balt show ? cool.

A cross between Bjork and Robert Plant is a perfect description.

Oh, um. Maybe you started this thread at a different date. I saw them last night, the 23rd in NJ.

Archived