Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saw SOAD and Mars Volta last night

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wold imagine they are kinda sloppy live.....there albums are a product of massive pro tools editing......SOAD
    Guitars,
    Ernie Ball JP6 and JP7
    RG 3120TW w/EMGs
    RG 570 w/EMGs
    Jackson Soloist and RR1 w/EMG
    Martin D28
    Koumaraska Classical

Amps,
    VHT Pittbull Ultralead
    Randall Iso cab and Marshall 1960
    Mesa DC3 Combo
    Marshall VS 8100
    Peavey Vypyr 75
    Crate acoustic amp

Pedals,
    TS9, NS2, DD20

www.soundclick.com/donnie71

Comment

I loved the earlier stuff from the mars volta, but the new album just ****************ing sucks, its a complete lame attempt at being progressive, and just plain sucks ass. It sounds like a bunch of guys jamming with no direction.

Comment

I have a live video clip of The Mars Volta and I can see how they wouldn't be very good in concert. The singer uses energy he should be using to hit the notes to thrash around instead, and the guitar player can't play leads. I love their first album, though, and there are some great things on the second album even though it's not so great overall.
        I play in a band called Genital Hercules. We have a website and a myspace. I also play in a band called The Hot Love.

Comment

Originally posted by Japetus
          IMO Mars Volta is one of the most overrated bands around.

I agree man. I cannot say that they don't have talent, they just don't do it for me. Second coming of Led Zeppelin, definitely not. Some catchy tunes, sure.

-Joe
          Gibson Les Paul Standard - Gibson 500T and 496R pickups
          Ibanez RG550 Duncan Custom/PAF Pro
          Ibanez RGA121 Duncan Custom/PAF Pro
          Peavey 6505+
          Avatar 2x12 Vintage 30/Hellatone 30
          Line 6 POD XT
          Presonus Firebox

XT Brotherhood

m/ Sonic mayhem, or crap...aka my clips. m/

Comment

Originally posted by mightyjoeyoungxnj

I agree man. I cannot say that they don't have talent, they just don't do it for me. Second coming of Led Zeppelin, definitely not. Some catchy tunes, sure.

-Joe

ah led zep, the 2nd most over rated band

but I was having a friend listen to mars volta (we are gonna see this show in october, and wanted to prep him on the opener) so he listens to two songs and asks
            "these guys are opening for SOAD?.... they are gonna get booed off the stage"
            i couldnt help but laugh but at the same time realize that I wouldnt be suprised if it happened. I think its just the cool thing to do to like mars volta. I loved their first cd but this one blows some serious ass.
            ***Click Here to Help Feed Rescued Animals, it Only Takes a Single Click and is Free!***
            Spammidiman anniversary edition 2x2 - $50 shipped
            carvin dcm 1500 power amp - $150 shipped

Comment

Originally posted by GregMan
              Serge

ENGL Powerball
              Voodoo Hex Marshall JMP 2203
              PODxt Pro
              Marshall 1960a
              Jackson RRV Pro, L-500XL & SD SH-2
              Gibson '76 Explorer, EMG 81 & 60
              Gibson '67 Flying V, 500t & 496r
              Ibanez SR-506 6 String Bass
              Yamaha S90
              Alesis Ion

Comment

DOH !

SERJ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                Toyz- a bunch of really cool ****************.

Comment

I was at the same show as you. Weird. Anyway, I think Mars Volta was horribly mixed at the soundboard and the recordings at least sound a million times better. I'm not typically a fan of castrati-type vocals but I think Cedric Zavala does it very well. It's like a cross between Robert Plant and Bjork, if I dare say it.

edit: as far being overrated, the music is obviously not for everyone. The people that like it tend to love it, and the people that dislike it tend to hate it. That's just the way music is. Surprise!

Comment

you were at the Balt show ? cool.

A cross between Bjork and Robert Plant is a perfect description.

Comment

you were at the Balt show ? cool.

A cross between Bjork and Robert Plant is a perfect description.

Oh, um. Maybe you started this thread at a different date. I saw them last night, the 23rd in NJ.

Comment

hehehe. I saw them Monday night.

Comment

Originally posted by nvcreations

ah led zep, the 2nd most over rated band

but I was having a friend listen to mars volta (we are gonna see this show in october, and wanted to prep him on the opener) so he listens to two songs and asks
                          "these guys are opening for SOAD?.... they are gonna get booed off the stage"
                          i couldnt help but laugh but at the same time realize that I wouldnt be suprised if it happened. I think its just the cool thing to do to like mars volta. I loved their first cd but this one blows some serious ass.

No ****************...I hate Led Zeppelin.

Comment

I saw SOAD a few years back live and they put on a really good show. It was either right before or right after Toxicity came out but the tone and playing was really good, they weren't sloppy at all. Things like that can change over time though. I think their new CD sucks and I was thinking I was going to dig it. Hey Megatron I heard your old band got back together, is that true?
                            my clips: www.soundclick.com/angrygodsoftheradio-JSXJCM800

My fingers, PRS and Taylor guitars, Budda, Fryette and Orange amps, Genz Benz cabs, Line6 effects and wireless, various dirt and fuzz boxes.

Comment

I couldn't wait for Mars Volta to be done. just ****************in' horrible.

thats what everyone was saying here at the l.a. shows as well. but soad did kick major ass

he uses a modded jmp and a /13
                              jirojan@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Whoopysnorp
                                the guitar player can't play leads.

He's like the only guitarist I know of today that hasn't been around for 20+ years with a unique play style. Of course, I'm really referring to ATDI. I guess I can sort of see what you are saying about TMV, but I don't think I'd ever come close to saying that he can't play leads.

Sparta sucks now. TMV is starting to suck. Maybe they'll both break up and have an ATDI reunion for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X