Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of getting a BadCat Mini II, any other recommendations?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of getting a BadCat Mini II, any other recommendations?

I have a great amp that I'm happy with for playing live and rehearsing but need a great amp for home. I live in a NYC apartment so most amps are just way too loud.

I'm going to go try a BadCat Mini II (if they have it in stocK...) today and hope that I can get great tone at a lower volume.

For small amps I currently have a Supro Super that I like to record with but it is pretty bright and a bit limited in what it does (but it does it well).

I've considered getting a tweed champ but think I'd be in the same boat as the Supro.

Any other recommendations for a great (apartment volume) amp? I'm NOT interested in POD's, or any other modeling amps. Price is no object either. If it sounds great and I can use it at home it will be worth the money.

Thanks

The Dr. Z Mini-Z might be nice as well.

http://www.drzamps.com/miniz.html
    <div class="signaturecontainer">(__/) <br />
    (='.'=)<br />
    (&quot_(&quot</div>

Comment

My MiniCat pumps about 110dB, so still pretty loud, I Hotplate it for true 'bedroom' levels.

Chuck
      CHAO AB ORDO

Comment

crate v15 , peavey classic 30

I liked em both better than the mini

Comment

A crate or a peavey better than a BadCat? I'm very suspicious... Money can't buy you love but it usually gets you tone.

Comment

The 6W Cornford.
            <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><b>Strat/LP - Vox Wah - BadMonkey - Matchless Clone - 412</b></font></div>

Comment

So I tried the BadCat Mini today. I was underwhelmed. It sounded good and the bass and treble control worked really well. It had a wide range of sounds but it didn't blow me away. I already have a Supro Super and it just wasn't that different. It could do more than my Supro can do but not enough to open my wallet.

Unfortunely they didn't have a Mini II (similar amp but with a 12" speaker instead of a 10"). I'll want to try that out when I get a chance.

The amp that DID blow me away was a Carr Mercury. Holy f*ck what a great amp. It has 4 attenuator settings down to 1/10 watt. Great tones and incredibly low volumes. But it is $2000.

SO I'm going to keep looking for a bit.

Comment

kalamazoo model 1. don`t waste your money.

Comment

better yet if you live in nyc in an apt get a line 6 and don`t worry about it just play

Comment

Originally posted by bcjames
                    The 6W Cornford.

Oooo Ooooo Oiiii!
                    I go with this suggestion! Killer sounding amp!

Gary
                    <div class="signaturecontainer">Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes<br />
                    Suicide by Overdrive<br />
                    <br />
                    I play high gain, head banging , Wookie music.<br />
                    <br />
                    I am not in a band. I am in a cultski.<br />
                    I have no gear.<br />
                    <br />
                    <br />
                    <font size="3"><font color="red">Jesus IS LORD</font></font></div>

Comment

like i said , " if you live in an apt. in n.y.c." do yourself a favor and buy a line 6. then you can play guitar or learn to play guitar without bothering your neighbors or wasting your money

Comment

Originally posted by chuckgp
                        My MiniCat pumps about 110dB, so still pretty loud, I Hotplate it for true 'bedroom' levels.

Chuck

that`s about the stupidist thing i have read here. a 5 watt amp is not doing 110 db`s for starters. maybe you have sensitive ears like my wife. a hotplate on a 5 watt amp. i have heard it all now evidently. i bet you hang out at the gearpage.net with that other **************************** scott. dude buy yourself a line6 for your apt, if you have a need for a band amp then get a 50 watt etc etc of your choice ya know. that bad cat thingy is a ****************ing ripoff. see my post above for the kalamazoo but you`ll need an od or dist. because there is no master. you can get these amps for $125/ same tube configuration/ put a weber or celestion it with a boost whatever it is up to you. these screwballs on here will lead you to nowhere and wasted mula. take care

Comment

Originally posted by SHAW

that`s about the stupidist thing i have read here. a 5 watt amp is not doing 110 db`s for starters. maybe you have sensitive ears like my wife. a hotplate on a 5 watt amp. i have heard it all now evidently. i bet you hang out at the gearpage.net with that other **************************** scott. dude buy yourself a line6 for your apt, if you have a need for a band amp then get a 50 watt etc etc of your choice ya know. that bad cat thingy is a ****************ing ripoff. see my post above for the kalamazoo but you`ll need an od or dist. because there is no master. you can get these amps for $125/ same tube configuration/ put a weber or celestion it with a boost whatever it is up to you. these screwballs on here will lead you to nowhere and wasted mula. take care

It must by my stupid, over-sensitive dB meter that I measure all my amps with, right ****************************?

I must have REALLY got ripped off on that BadCat X-Treme Tone pedal I foolishly use with my overpriced MiniCat, the most ****************ing awesome sounding amp I've ever had,

right ****************head??

It really sucked when I got the amp fixed free by the company
                          and got personal, one to one support from the owner,

right, you mongolian idiot?

You hangout at that queerpage.net in that other **************************** Scott's ****************************, who's really your wife,

right, Line6 instead of balls in this lifetime?

Thanks a lot, now I can sell all that **************** and get it together finally.

Chuck
                          CHAO AB ORDO

Comment

Originally posted by MBET
                            A crate or a peavey better than a BadCat? I'm very suspicious... Money can't buy you love but it usually gets you tone.

Believe it or not, I thought they sounded better also. I was really underwhelmed with the Badcat mini too. Then again, none of these low wattage amps ever did much for me.

My first amp was a little Kalamazoo and it kicked ass for a little thing. Always sounded like it was ready to blow up, which it eventually did- but it was good while it lasted!
                            <div class="signaturecontainer">For Sale:<br />
                            <br />
                            2005 Gibson Historic '57 Reissue Goldtop- 2100<br />
                            <br />
                            Epiphone Valve Junior Head- 80</div>

Comment

A good friend of mine and guitar luthier who plays in a metal band called JERK (anyone?) sold two rectos to get this BADCAT combo and he cannot stop raving about the tone. Everytime I see him I get an ear bashing about how amazing this thing sounds.

He did turn it into a head, but I would definately get one as you will never find a tone quite like it.

Tim

Comment

Working...
                              X