some good jazz artists?

atthedriveintxo

• Members

pat martino and wes montgomery are my favorite jazz guitarists (both have versions of 'road song' where you can find two different takes on a GREAT tune...both are ingenious)

charlie parker (sax player) was an amazing composer and soloist, but you've gotta be a pretty intense listener to truly appreciate what he had going on ('donna lee' is a really cool fast bob piece of his)

jaco pastorious...hopefully you atleast know of him, check it his version of 'donna lee' as well if you can

anything by miles davis is essential

chick corea (sp?) has done some really cool tunes as well (check out the song 'spain')

• Members

Good post and I can add to the essential jazz guitar to listen to.

Tal Farlow's version of Cherokee on the Verve Label has to be heard to be believed. He is the first truly great modern jazz guitarist.

Originally posted by cobrahead1030

pat martino and wes montgomery are my favorite jazz guitarists (both have versions of 'road song' where you can find two different takes on a GREAT tune...both are ingenious)

charlie parker (sax player) was an amazing composer and soloist, but you've gotta be a pretty intense listener to truly appreciate what he had going on ('donna lee' is a really cool fast bob piece of his)

jaco pastorious...hopefully you atleast know of him, check it his version of 'donna lee' as well if you can

anything by miles davis is essential

chick corea (sp?) has done some really cool tunes as well (check out the song 'spain')

• Members

for guitar or in general?

for guitar off the top of my head - joe pass, john scofield, wes montgomery, george benson and charlie hunter.

in general - john coltrane, charlie parker, joe henderson, cannonball adderley, stan getz, count basie, miles davis, duke ellington, dave brubeck, horace silver, lee morgen, and freddie hubbard.

• Members

tell me what you think of it. Tal is one of the first bonafide speed demons on jazz guitar. Stan Getz played and recorded with Johnny Smith often, is that the stuff you're talking about?

Originally posted by AcidRock23

Stan Getz Bossa Nova sessions have some pretty intense guitar work on them and are AWESOME summer/ vacation/ cocktails on the caba

• Members

Greg's playing is about reaching back to the avant guard of sax playing of the 60s even though he's primarily just playing alto. Lovano too is a great tenor sax player from that mindset and he is quite a multi horn player as well.
I don't care for Kenny G at all.

Originally posted by musicdog400

I'm really diggin the new Greg Osby - Channel Three

Something really different about his stuff.

And don't forget Kenny G.

• Members
Originally posted by Lambros

tell me what you think of it. Tal is one of the first bonafide speed demons on jazz guitar. Stan Getz played and recorded with Johnny Smith often, is that the stuff you're talking about?

no, the stuff w/ Joao and Astrid Gilberto. The guitar playing SMOKES but is very soft, like a warm breeze on your gals butt-floss bikini or whatever...Bossa Nova Years

:D

I've got a "Blues" thing w/ a BUNCH of dudes on a verve box set ("the Verve Story") that has Les Paul doing some similar

• Members
Originally posted by Lambros

oh, and the Tal Farlow is GREAT stuff...I'd never stumbled across that although I have checked out some of his stuff from the library. The library's a good place to go to check stuff out but a lot of their stuff is trashed. I like the way he hangs in the groove of the chords while he's FLYING all over the place. There's something to shoot for. As if....:(:D

*golf claps* (or would that be...*jazz claps*??) for Lambros!!

• Members

I know exactly the stuff you're talking about,; Desafinado, Corcovado, So Danco Samba, etc. Awesome stuff and very relaxing at the same time.
The JATP stuff is great too with Verve and I think their doing it better than most companies when it comes to re introducing the older recordings.
I highly recommend their Billy Strayhorn compilation.

no, the stuff w/ Joao and Astrid Gilberto. The guitar playing SMOKES but is very soft, like a warm breeze on your gals butt-floss bikini or whatever...Bossa Nova Years

:D

I've got a "Blues" thing w/ a BUNCH of dudes on a verve box set ("the Verve Story") that has Les Paul doing some similar

• Members

Thank you-thank you, cool cat, you're too kind...
Yeah, Tal is amazing and he's got that really good tone, warm clean with just the right amount of sustain and depth to it that compliments his style. Johnny Smith maybe a better player marginally but his tone is rather subdued and too clean at times.
Kenny Burrell has got that nice, thicker tone too...

oh, and the Tal Farlow is GREAT stuff...I'd never stumbled across that although I have checked out some of his stuff from the library. The library's a good place to go to check stuff out but a lot of their stuff is trashed. I like the way he hangs in the groove of the chords while he's FLYING all over the place. There's something to shoot for. As if....
:(:D

*golf claps* (or would that be...*jazz claps*??) for Lambros!!

Archived