Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

some good jazz artists?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse









X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    tell me what you think of it. Tal is one of the first bonafide speed demons on jazz guitar. Stan Getz played and recorded with Johnny Smith often, is that the stuff you're talking about?

    Originally posted by AcidRock23
    Stan Getz Bossa Nova sessions have some pretty intense guitar work on them and are AWESOME summer/ vacation/ cocktails on the caba

    Comment


    • #17
      Greg's playing is about reaching back to the avant guard of sax playing of the 60s even though he's primarily just playing alto. Lovano too is a great tenor sax player from that mindset and he is quite a multi horn player as well.
      I don't care for Kenny G at all.


      Originally posted by musicdog400
      I'm really diggin the new Greg Osby - Channel Three

      Something really different about his stuff.

      And don't forget Kenny G.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Lambros
        tell me what you think of it. Tal is one of the first bonafide speed demons on jazz guitar. Stan Getz played and recorded with Johnny Smith often, is that the stuff you're talking about?



        no, the stuff w/ Joao and Astrid Gilberto. The guitar playing SMOKES but is very soft, like a warm breeze on your gals butt-floss bikini or whatever...Bossa Nova Years



        I've got a "Blues" thing w/ a BUNCH of dudes on a verve box set ("the Verve Story") that has Les Paul doing some similar
        Originally posted by buddastrat
        Yngwie wanks a lot, but so does every single guitar player alive.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Lambros
          tell me what you think of it. Tal is one of the first bonafide speed demons on jazz guitar. Stan Getz played and recorded with Johnny Smith often, is that the stuff you're talking about?



          oh, and the Tal Farlow is GREAT stuff...I'd never stumbled across that although I have checked out some of his stuff from the library. The library's a good place to go to check stuff out but a lot of their stuff is trashed. I like the way he hangs in the groove of the chords while he's FLYING all over the place. There's something to shoot for. As if....

          *golf claps* (or would that be...*jazz claps*??) for Lambros!!
          Originally posted by buddastrat
          Yngwie wanks a lot, but so does every single guitar player alive.

          Comment


          • #20
            I know exactly the stuff you're talking about,; Desafinado, Corcovado, So Danco Samba, etc. Awesome stuff and very relaxing at the same time.
            The JATP stuff is great too with Verve and I think their doing it better than most companies when it comes to re introducing the older recordings.
            I highly recommend their Billy Strayhorn compilation.

            Originally posted by AcidRock23


            no, the stuff w/ Joao and Astrid Gilberto. The guitar playing SMOKES but is very soft, like a warm breeze on your gals butt-floss bikini or whatever...Bossa Nova Years



            I've got a "Blues" thing w/ a BUNCH of dudes on a verve box set ("the Verve Story") that has Les Paul doing some similar

            Comment


            • #21
              Thank you-thank you, cool cat, you're too kind...
              Yeah, Tal is amazing and he's got that really good tone, warm clean with just the right amount of sustain and depth to it that compliments his style. Johnny Smith maybe a better player marginally but his tone is rather subdued and too clean at times.
              Kenny Burrell has got that nice, thicker tone too...


              Originally posted by AcidRock23


              oh, and the Tal Farlow is GREAT stuff...I'd never stumbled across that although I have checked out some of his stuff from the library. The library's a good place to go to check stuff out but a lot of their stuff is trashed. I like the way he hangs in the groove of the chords while he's FLYING all over the place. There's something to shoot for. As if....

              *golf claps* (or would that be...*jazz claps*??) for Lambros!!

              Comment


              • #22
                guitarists:
                ren

                Comment


                • #23
                  Check out the "Reckless Precision" album by Tuck Andress.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    listen online to

                    www.wbgo.org

                    you will hear great jazz all day and night long

                    they have a playlist feature at the site that tells you who you heard, when, and what album it was from

                    you will discover a lot of people that way

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Bela Fleck & the Flecktones

                      Left of Cool or the triple cd Little Worlds are great ones to start at. Great playing and excellent tunes.

                      Comment



                      • Working...
                        X