Los Lobos - Mas y Mas

Janglin_Jack

• Members

I can't answer the question, but I have seen them a bunch (not recently unfortunately) and got the impression they are both major gear sluts. :D They travel with a flock of guitars and seem to use whatever they feel like at the moment. They may be more faithful with amps though. On the new DVD it looks like Hidalgo is using a fender combo...

• Members

Originally posted by tiger roach

I can't answer the question, but I have seen them a bunch (not recently unfortunately) and got the impression they are both major gear sluts.
:D
They travel with a flock of guitars and seem to use whatever they feel like at the moment. They may be more faithful with amps though. On the new DVD it looks like Hidalgo is using a fender combo...

I think you are right about the gear they use is probably too variable to nail for that tune. I was trying to determine if the guitar was a Les Paul with an amp with EL-34's, (Marshall or Roccaforte). I hope someone has some inside knowledge.

Jack

• Members

Originally posted by Roccaforte Amps

I'll ask Cesar when he comes over, but I believe they

both used a TV front tweed Deluxe on most of the tracks.

They have two of these amps that I've been servicing

for years, and Cesar told me they used these two

amps on 90% of their studio recordings, with pedals.

Doug

Doug, Thanks for posting a reply. I have seen Los Lobos live several times and most recently at the Mountain Winery in Saratoga, CA. I have seen Cesar using one of your amps. That is one great band, (and KILLER guitar tones). Put in a plug for them to come to the Catalyst again in Santa Cruz.

TV Deluxe is 6V6 I think. That really throws a monkey wrench in my search. I have a low powered Gibson with EL-84, JTM45 with KT66, Mark IV with 6L6. Studio vs live is an important difference. I want stage volume with the Mas y Mas tone.

Thanks again,

Jack

• Members

I have seen them several time too and have seen them using all kinds of stuff. All very gifted musicians.

One of my favorite tones is the lead tone in the a live version of "The Politian" on the Just Another Band From East LA, 2CD compilation. Blistering tone.

There are some great covers on that record, the Deads "Bertha" and Marvin Gaye's "Whats Goin On".....Steve Berlin really wails on sax.

They at or near the top of my list of favorite bands.

• Members

Originally posted by Janglin_Jack

It turns out they will be at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz on Sept 4th.

Jack

Just got back from the show and I couldn't see their pedals, (stage is too high). They were all playing Fender DeVille amps and later Cesar Rojas pulled out a Bassman, (reissue I think). No Roccaforte!?? Killer show.

Jack

Archived