Got A TC Electronics G Major Today!!! Wow. Trade Patches? Questions...

Tobiahtayo

• Members

I decided for twice the price of my Boss DD-20 i could have something far better( The boss sounded awful i think)

It was on some old firmware (without eq) when i played it and ive just updated it so cant wait to here it now :-)

So What foot controller u guys use and how many presets do u have programmed... So many possibilites...

I just though u'd have to have each patch assigned for what u want but i think being able to assign a midi button to do reverb/delay/chorus/flanger/tune out on off is great!!! i think i might add the delay one to pedal 10 every bank so i can add delay to all my sounds :-) would this work?

Also what foot controller u guys use? I was looking at the behringer FCB1010?

Last of all do you guys have any patches u have made and liked that you wouldnt mind sharing? By midi or by writing? Thanks a million :)

• Members

Originally posted by Tobiahtayo

So What foot controller u guys use and how many presets do u have programmed... So many possibilites...

FCB1010.... 4 or 5 presets

I just though u'd have to have each patch assigned for what u want but i think being able to assign a midi button to do reverb/delay/chorus/flanger/tune out on off is great!!! i think i might add the delay one to pedal 10 every bank so i can add delay to all my sounds :-) would this work?

Yep, you can set up the FCB1010 that way... I don't know about any other controllers.

Congrats on the new toy!!

• Members

Last of all do you guys have any patches u have made and liked that you wouldnt mind sharing? By midi or by writing? Thanks a million
:)

I have the Rocktron Midimate highly reccomend it. Basically I have it set up for both instant switches and program changes. i.e. I can mute the system for tuning and change channels on my amp without changing the patches, then with patch changes it will automatically switch whatever I have saved in my G-Major. I only use about 6-7 patches on my G-Major for my needs right now I am not gigging so my G-Major is not being used so I don't exactly know which patches I am using.

Now have you looked at TC Electronics support site? You can sign up there and have all sorts of tech questions answered they were very very helpful when I was setting up my G-Major. check it out.. http://www.tcelectronic.com/Default.asp?Id=587

• Members

I use the Behringer FCB1010 with my G Major. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with it. I really like what it does, and how it functions, but I hate the size, and I barely ever use the expression pedals. However, if thats your thing, its very good at what it does.

I have my G set up to switch amp channels at the same time the FCB switches patches on the G. Like the guy above, I only use around 6 or 7 patches, but there are so many possiblities. I only recently found a new chorus sound, which I much prefer to the one i've been using for ages. (I set it up and didn't mess with it much, for months)

• Members

Dude, I did the exact same thing. At first I had decided to buy a bunch of pedal effects so I started with a DD20. After spending some serious time with it for a couple weeks I decided that I had wasted my money.

I made another trip to Guitar Center to return it, but thought I'd give the G-Major a chance while I was there. I'm so {censored}ing glad that I did because this unit is awesome!

My main concerns were delay and reverb, which this unit does an amazing job with. I also really like the chorus and the noise gate works perfectly with my 5150! This was definitely one of the smarter gear purchases I've made. Hope you continue to enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine.

:cool:

• Members
Originally posted by Toolsound

Dude, I did the exact same thing. At first I had decided to buy a bunch of pedal effects so I started with a DD20. After spending some serious time with it for a couple weeks I decided that I had wasted my money.

I made another trip to Guitar Center to return it, but thought I'd give the G-Major a chance while I was there. I'm so {censored}ing glad that I did because this unit is awesome!

My main concerns were delay and reverb, which this unit does an amazing job with. I also really like the chorus and the noise gate works perfectly with my 5150! This was definitely one of the smarter gear purchases I've made. Hope you continue to enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine.

:cool:

+1

• Members

Originally posted by Sorted69

How does the channel switching work?

my amp has a 5 pin din style footswitch, will it work with that?

I was wondering the same. Is there a special cable available or does the channel switching simply not work?

• Members

Originally posted by Brodequin

I was wondering the same. Is there a special cable available or does the channel switching simply not work?

You should be able to get one made for you. If i'm not wrong, JerryP can make the leads, not to deflect work on him or anything..

• Members

I think it depends if your amp also has some external switching jacks on the back...

There's an jack on the bang of the GMajor that says something about external switching or something...it's not in front of me so I don't recall right off hand. Anyway, you connect a cable that goes from TRS (ring-tip-sleeve) to two mono plugs. The TRS side goes to the GMajor and the mono jacks go to some external jacks on the back of your amp.

On mine, which is a Dual Recto, the two plugs go into the channel 1 switching jack and the channel 3 switching jack.

More information can be found here

• Members

It depends on whether your amp's footswitch uses the momentary or latching type switches. I believe the G-Major only supports the latching type.

After that, all you need is a custom made cable to go from the TRS (stereo type) connector on the G-Major to your amp's footswitch cable. I made one myself, and it only cost a few bucks in parts, and a little time with a soldering iron. The footswitch connector on my F-50 is also a 5 pin DIN type - you can read more about the cable I made on the first page of the F-series Lounge (link in sig), :)

Big smiles,

Andy.

• Members

not had chance to play yet cos been away camping but the harmoniser is amazingly good i think :-)

i just know that my playing is gonna have a lot of effect in for several months.
also loving filter and the more far out effects ;)

Will keep you guys posted

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

the harmoniser is amazingly good i think :-)

Just to be clear here. It's NOT a harmonizer. It knows nothing about the intervals you play. The G-Force has a harmonizer. The G-Major has pitch. Ok you can simulate some nice multiparts by adding 100 cents above and below the notes you play but it still remains pitch shift.

• Members

It was on some old firmware (without eq) when i played it and ive just updated it so cant wait to here it now :-)

Everybody with an old version should upgrade. They fixed a lot of bugs and added some useful features. Check the site.

i think i might add the delay one to pedal 10 every bank so i can add delay to all my sounds :-) would this work?

Yes if your controller sends CC's it'll work.

Axess electronics MFC5. An amazing little thing.

Archived